Bring the flavours of the Caribbean to your dinner table using only one pan! This One Pot Caribbean Chicken and Rice recipe is super easy and full of flavour!
And just like that, it's Monday!
How was your week-end? We spent our week-end at the park, then at the airport watching planes land (sounds odd but it's strangely fun, especially with a two-year old who loves airplanes), then at the park again. I am so happy that it is warm enough to spend time at the park!
During one of our park visits, we met the friendliest cat ever. He came right over and got some pats from Kai, joined him on the merry-go-round and even on the jungle gym! When we left, Kai was asking "where's my kitty? Where's my kitty?" I would love to get the poor kid a cat, but Ben is allergic.
Well...now it's Monday again, and it's back to the routine. And today I have the perfect Monday-night dinner for us! This one pot Caribbean chicken and rice is easy, healthy, and FULL of flavour!
Grace Foods Canada makes bringing the flavours of the Caribbean to your dinner table an easy task. For this recipe, I used two of their products: the Jerk Marinade, which brings a TON of that awesome jerk flavour to the chicken (without being overpoweringly spicy), and their Coconut Water, which is my super secret ingredient to make this rice some of the best rice I've ever tasted!
Honestly, I have made coconut rice using coconut milk before, and it is SUPER delicious, however I like to cut down on calories whenever possible. By using coconut water, you cut the fat and calories significantly, and still end up with a subtle but really nice coconut flavour in the rice. Not only that but the texture is unbelievable...creamy, yet still with a chew to it (aka: not mushy).
This one pot Caribbean chicken and rice tastes like total comfort food (thanks to the creamy rice), but it is completely healthy! I snuck the veggies right into the dish, but you could easily omit them and serve with a side salad instead.
And guess what? Only one pan to wash up afterwards! If that doesn't make you jump for joy on a Monday, I don't know what will 🙂
Check out the Grace Foods Canada Where To Buy page to see which stores near you stock Grace products!
Thank-you to Grace Foods Canada for sponsoring this post! Thank-you for supporting the brands that support Sweet Peas & Saffron. All opinions remain my own.
One Pot Caribbean Chicken and Rice
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 cup Grace Jerk Marinade plus ¼ cup more reserved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup long grain rice
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 ½ cups Grace Coconut Water
- 2 bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini thinly sliced
- Place the chicken in a baking dish or large bowl with the marinade, turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours (preferably overnight).
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the chicken, discarding excess marinade, and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, until slightly browned. Remove chicken from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add rice, thyme, allspice, salt and brown sugar to the pan, and cook, stirring frequently for 2 or so minutes. Add the coconut water, and scrape any bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes (don't be tempted to peak or stir).
- After 20 minutes, add the bell peppers and zucchini to the pan, and stir into the rice.
- Place the chicken on top of the rice, cover, and cook for another 10-15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Brush the chicken with the remaining ¼ cup of marinade prior to serving.
Alternatively, you can pick up some of Grace's Spicy Jerk Seasoning!
More Jamaican jerk recipe inspiration: