Sharing the best lunch containers that will keep your lunch at the right temperature and tasting fresh for hours! Options for kids and adults, divided containers and more.
Hi friends! My 5 Best Glass Meal Prep Containers post has been a popular post with you guys, so it’s about time I posted my picks for best lunch containers.
A good lunch container will
- keep your lunch tasting fresh
- prevent certain ingredients from coming in contact with each other
- keep your food at the right temperature
I asked the Sweet Peas & Saffron community for their favorite containers and have included some of the ones that came up time and time again. Thank you for sharing your favorite products with me!
Pst! Are you looking for packed lunch ideas? Check out this post with 54 Healthy Lunch Ideas for Work!
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
1. Glass lunch containers
Glass is a really smart choice over plastic for so many reasons including:
- they are free from chemicals
- they re-heat your food more evenly
- they keep your food fresher
- they are more environmentally friendly
If you have the budget for them, they are a great investment. I recommend picking containers with a 2-3 cup capacity. My 2 cup containers fit a good-sized portion exactly, but if it’s something you want to stir up you’d want 3 cup.
- Snapware 2 Cup Glass Meal Prep Containers (my top pick- I kid you not, I own 40+ of these! Find at Target or Real Canadian Superstore)
- Ikea Glass Meal Prep Containers (SPS community favorite; these containers come in a variety of sizes and are affordable. Lids are good quality and snap securely)
- Pyrex 3-cup Glass Food Storage Set (over 2800 ratings on Amazon with 4.3 average rating. Affordable and a popular choice but people do complain about the lids)
- Glasslock 18-Piece Glass Storage Container Set (a great starter set and has a variety of sizes)
2. Plastic lunch containers
Plastic containers are cheaper, lighter, and are still fairly durable. They are a great choice when you are hiking, or if packing lunches for your kids. Make sure you pick one that is BPA-free.
Here are my picks for best plastic lunch containers:
- EasyLunchboxes 3-Compartment Lunch Containers (budget-friendly, light, and fits a lot of food)
- Rubbermaid Easy Find Lids 50-Piece Set (love the variety of sizes that this package has)
- Tupperware Lunch It Divided Containers (SPS community favorite)
- Sistema Go Collection Bento Box (SPS community favorite)
3. Lunch containers with dividers
Dividers are essential for when you want to keep certain ingredients separated (like salads, pitas, dips etc). They are great because often you can fit your entire lunch in the one box and have snacks in one compartment and main course in another.
Here are my picks for the best lunch containers with dividers:
- PrepNaturals 3 compartment glass meal prep containers (great for bento-style lunches but are quite heavy)
- PrepNaturals 2 compartment glass meal prep containers (great for veggies & dip, salads, etc)
- EasyLunchboxes 3-Compartment Lunch Containers (affordable, good for kids, fits lots of food)
- Rubbermaid Brilliance Food Storage Container, Salad and Snack Lunch Combo Kit (looks great for salads)
4. Stainless steel lunch containers
Stainless steel containers like PlanetBox have a cult following! The pros of stainless versus glass is that stainless steel lunch containers will not break if dropped and are safer for kids. They are non-toxic (unlike plastic) and light to carry.
The cons? They are expensive, you cannot heat them in the microwave, and they are not 100% leak-proof.
Here are my top picks for the best stainless steel lunch containers:
- LunchBots Bento Trio (good for adults and kids)
- PlanetBox Lunch Boxes (SPS community favorite; many people said they are worth the price and good for both kids and adults)
- Medium 3-in-1 Stainless Steel Lunch Box with 3 Compartments (for adults)
5. Kids lunch containers
Our oldest just started kindergarten this year and packing him a lunch has certainly been a new learning curve! One good choice we made was to invest in a good quality lunch box for him.
There are a ton of kid-friendly options on the market these days, all at different price points. I prefer a bento-style lunch box because it means less containers to wash and less likely we will lose containers/lids etc.
Here are my top picks for kids lunch containers:
- YUMBOX Panino Leakproof Bento Lunch Box Container (we own two of these and they are great- pricy but seem like they will last)
- PlanetBox Lunch Boxes (SPS community favorite; many people said they are worth the price)
- Bentgo Kids Childrens Lunch Box (SPS reader favorite, is budget-friendly as well)
- Insulated Lunch Container DaCool Hot Food Jar (a highly rated thermos on Amazon; only suitable for older kids I would think)
5. Insulated lunch containers
These containers will keep your lunch at the right temperature so you a) don’t have to reheat it or b) don’t have to worry about it going off on your way to and from work.
Here are my top picks for insulated lunch containers:
- Thermos Stainless King 16 Ounce Food Jar (4800+ reviews with an average rating of 4.5)
- MIER Adult Lunch Box Insulated Lunch Bag (2300+ reviews with an average rating of 4.4)
- Crock-Pot Lunch Crock Food Warmer, Black (2400+ reviews with an average rating of 4.6)
6. Misc accessories
Don’t forget about your sauces, dips and drinks! Here are some cool accessories that will take your lunch to the next level.
Here are my top picks for lunch container accessories:
- Sistema 1 oz Condiment Containers (we own 8 of these and they are perfect for salad dressings & dips)
- Mason Jars Straw Lids + Silicone Straws (looks great and rated well on Amazon; much safer than stainless straws and avoids rust issues with metal lids)
- Divider Cup for Wide Mouth Mason Jars (looks great for salads, dips, snacks)
- Lunchskins Reusable Sandwich Bag (ditch the plastic and use these instead- they come in a variety of designs and are perfect for sandwiches)
I didn’t mention the humble mason jar, which is one of my faves. They are cheap, durable, and easy to find at the grocery store.
Do you have a favorite that I missed? Leave a comment below so I can check it out!