You're going to love this Asian chicken soba noodle salad with a tangy sesame vinaigrette and a whole rainbow of fresh veggies for a tasty lunch or dinner. Fresh, crunchy and easy to customize with your favorite salad add ins.
There is just something so refreshing about a cold noodle salad. I am a huge fan of this Greek Chicken Pasta Salad, and these Cold Sesame Noodle Meal Prep Bowls. But soba noodles might just be my favorite noodles to use in a salad because they are just so good served cold!
Not only is this salad super tasty with the shredded honey lime chicken and sesame vinaigrette, but it's pretty to look at, too!
While I've used cabbage, zucchini and bell pepper, it's the perfect salad to use up what you have in your fridge.
Reasons you’ll ♡ this Asian chicken soba noodle salad
Wondering how this salad all comes together? Watch the 1-minute recipe video below! Find more of my videos on my YouTube channel.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Let's talk ingredients!
Here's what I used to make this soba noodle salad:
- soba noodles- made with buckwheat flour, these are naturally gluten-free. You can find them in the Asian section of your grocery store.
- shredded chicken- I've used this Slow Cooker Honey Lime Chicken, but any pre-cooked + shredded chicken can work here
- vinaigrette- with a base of tangy white wine vinegar and a hint of sesame oil
- veggies- shredded cabbage, bell pepper and zucchini were used but swap in a bag of slaw mix for an easy shortcut!
- cilantro- gives it a pop of fresh flavor
- sesame seeds- for a little crunch and visual pizzaz when serving
Tips for the perfect salad
Does this recipe work for meal prep?
Unfortunately, leftovers do not keep well for meal prep as the soba noodles get too soft. You could try swapping for a sturdy pasta shape like rotini.
This recipe works for meal prep if you prep the veggies + chicken + vinaigrette ahead. Find it as part of my Honey Lime Chicken Meal Prep Plan!
What are some swaps I could make in this recipe?
This is such a versatile recipe. Here are some swap ideas for cold soba noodle salad:
- swap the sesame vinaigrette for the peanut sauce in this recipe
- swap the chicken for chickpeas to make it vegetarian
- swap the veggies for pretty much any veggie in your fridge or a bag of slaw mix
- swap the sesame seeds for toasted peanuts
Looking for more salad recipes?
- Kale Barley Salad with Honey Lemon Vinaigrette
- Wild Rice + Sweet Potato Salad
- Mexican Kale Salad
- Black Bean + Corn Salad
- Broccoli Salad with Almonds + Quinoa
Note: This recipe was originally posted in 2015. It has been republished with fresh photos, tips and a new video in 2020.
- 2 bunches soba noodles (180 g/6.4 oz)
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I recommend this Slow Cooker Honey Lime Chicken)
- 2 bell peppers (sliced thinly)
- 2 cups red cabbage (shredded)
- 1 zucchini (shredded)
- ½ cup cilantro leaves (chopped)
- Toasted sesame seeds to garnish
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon Dijon
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, and cook soba noodles for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender, but not mushy. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside
- Combine cooled soba noodles, chicken, bell peppers, cabbage, zucchini and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Shake together vinaigrette ingredients and drizzle over the salad. Toss to coat.
- Serve with toasted sesame seeds to garnish.
- Leftovers of this salad do not keep for more than 24 hours, however you may cook the chicken, prepare the vegetables and shake up the vinaigrette up to 4 days ahead.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.