These lighter sausage stuffed sweet potatoes are made using crock pot sweet potatoes, making it ready in under 30 minutes! Perfect for a busy week-night dinner or as a lunch.
Note: This recipe is part of my 3-in-1 recipe series in which I provide one base slow cooker recipe, and three ways to serve it. See this post to get the instructions for crock pot sweet potatoes.
There are so many delicious meals out there that are just ‘off limits’ to busy working families. Lasagna from scratch, roasts, basically anything that takes over an hour is just not happening at my house at the end of a long work day.
Previously on that list? Twice baked potatoes. Who has time to roast the potatoes, let them cool, prep the filling and toppings, and re-bake? Not this girl, that’s for sure.
I’m super excited to share this recipe, which is a spin-off from my crock pot sweet potatoes post (recipe here). Using this base recipe, you will end up with 3-5 perfectly cooked (and ultra creamy) sweet potatoes.
Starting with pre-cooked sweet potatoes makes twice baked potatoes an absolute breeze to whip up. Simply scoop out the filling, mix it up with some spices and Greek yogurt, and gently spoon back into the potato skins. Top with spicy Italian Sausage and pepper jack cheese, bake it up, and you have yourself a healthy and delicious dinner! I actually think it makes a pretty delicious break-fast or lunch, too!
Check out the other crock pot sweet potato recipes:
Lighter Sausage Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 spicy Italian sausage
- 4 medium sweet potatoes cooked in the slow cooker
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack
- parsley to garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium non-stick pan, cook the sausage over medium heat, breaking the sausage up with the spatula into small crumbled bits. When sausage is cooked through (around 6 minutes), remove from pan and drain excess fat on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Gently scoop the insides out of sweet potatoes, leaving the skins intact.
- In a medium bowl, combine sweet potato puree with Greek yogurt, salt and ground cumin. Mix until smooth and completely combined.
- Arrange the sweet potato skins on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and gently spoon the filling back in.
- Scatter the sausage evenly over the sweet potato skins, then top with shredded pepper jack cheese.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted and slightly browned. For me, this took 12 minutes.
Calories 422 // Fat 16 g // Saturated Fat 1 g // Cholesterol 118 mg // Sodium 1739 mg // Carbohydrate 32 g // Fiber 4 g // Sugars 8 g // Protein 39 g
Products used in this recipe: