This honey lime shredded chicken is an easy and delicious slow cooker recipe with only 6 ingredients and takes only 10 minutes to throw together. Use it on sandwiches, tacos, salads and more. Gluten-free, meal prep- and freezer-friendly.
When I cook chicken breasts in the slow cooker, I like to make sure it simmers in a delicious sauce. This Slow Cooker Sweet Chili Chicken is a personal fave, as is this Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken. And I have a real soft spot for this slow cooker honey lime chicken because it is just so versatile!
This honey lime shredded chicken has just six simple ingredients and does not require sauteeing, which makes prep super duper easy.
Not only that, but you can enjoy your honey lime chicken straight from the slow cooker, or enjoy in a variety of meals. In fact, I have a meal prep plan + shopping list for you here!
Reasons you’ll ♡ this slow cooker honey lime shredded chicken
- you need just 6 simple ingredients
- there is no sautee step so you can get it cooking quickly
- it's delicious and extremely versatile- use it in a variety of meals!
Watch the video below to see exactly how I prepped this slow cooker honey lime chicken. It’s so easy! You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel, or on Facebook.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Let's talk ingredients
- chicken- we are using boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you could easily swap for 2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken thighs (increase the cook time to 4-5 hrs on low)
- stock- use chicken stock or homemade bone broth
- garlic- six cloves, but don't worry, this is not overly 'garlicky' in flavor
- lime- juice two limes. Use fresh for the best flavor, but don't worry, bottled lime juice works as well.
- honey- for a touch of sweetness
- salt- to bring out all the other flavors
This slow cooker honey lime chicken works amazingly well for meal prep. Here are some tips to get you cooking: Find my favorite slow cookers, meal prep containers, and other kitchen equipment in my shop!
Meal prep tips
This slow cooker honey lime chicken works amazingly well for meal prep. Here are some tips to get you cooking:
Find my favorite slow cookers, meal prep containers, and other kitchen equipment in my shop!
Can I leave out the honey?
I have not tested the recipe this way, and worry that it would be lacking in flavor. I would advise looking for a low carb sweetener instead (monk fruit is my fave).
Can I make this in the Instant Pot?
Yes, you sure can! Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes followed by a quick pressure release. Shred the chicken and toss in the cooking liquid to serve.
Can I prepare this as a freezer crockpot meal?
Yes, this works great as a freezer crockpot meal. Simply combine all ingredients in a freezer bag, meal prep container or reusable silicone bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before cooking as directed.
Use your crock pot honey lime chicken in
More slow cooker chicken recipes
- 7 No Sautee Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Sticky Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
This post was originally published in 2015. It has been republished with fresh photos, recipes tips and a video in 2020!
Did you make this? Tag me on social @sweetpeasandsaffron and be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
Slow Cooker Honey Lime Chicken
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup chicken stock (or water)
- 2 limes (juiced)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (roughly 4-5 chicken breasts)
- Whisk together honey, stock, limes, garlic and salt in the bottom of a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Add the chicken breasts and turn to coat in the sauce.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and transfer to a bowl. Shred with two forks or an electric hand mixer.
- Toss with cooking liquid and enjoy.
- Before cooking- this recipe can be assembled as a freezer crockpot meal. Combine all ingredients in a freezer bag, meal prep container or reusable silicone bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before cooking as directed above.
- After cooking- this recipe can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Comment