This honey-lime chicken is an easy and delicious base slow cooker recipe with only 6 ingredients and takes only 10 minutes to throw together. Scroll to the bottom of the post for three recipes to use your chicken!
I’m back with another 3-in-1 slow cooker post for you! In case you are new, this is a blog series where I provide one base slow cooker recipe and three ways to use it. Last month we made slow cooker sweet potatoes, check out that post here! This month, it’s chicken time!
The point of this series is to make dinner time a LOT easier: make up a batch of the chicken on day 1, and use it in one of the recipes below. Days 2 & 3: come home from work, don’t worry about thawing anything out, because your chicken is already cooked! And because these recipes are very different from each other, I promise you won’t get bored of eating chicken for three days in a row!
And the best part is none of these recipes take longer than 30 minutes to prepare.
Let’s check them out!
Use your slow cooker honey lime chicken in:
Before we get to the recipes, a little run-down on this recipe. Chicken breasts simmer in a mixture of honey, garlic and lime juice for 5 hours (low) or 2-3 hours (high).
Shred the chicken, and toss in the reserved cooking liquid. I didn’t quite use all of mine, but it was close!
For four chicken breasts I had about 4 cups of shredded chicken, which is enough to make the three recipes below (which all serve four portions).
I have to tell you: having a batch of this chicken in my fridge has really saved me this past week. Ben was out of town and I was single-momming it. It is so hard to be motivated to cook dinner for just yourself (Kai has other preferences), but I managed to do it!
I really am loving these 3-in-1 posts for the easy dinner inspiration!
Slow Cooker Honey Lime Chicken
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup chicken stock (or water)
- 2 limes (juiced)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (roughly 4-5 chicken breasts)
- Whisk together honey, stock, limes, garlic and salt in the bottom of a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Add the chicken breasts and turn to coat in the sauce.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and transfer to a bowl. Shred with two forks or an electric hand mixer.
- Toss with cooking liquid and enjoy.
- Before cooking- this recipe can be assembled as a freezer crockpot meal. Combine all ingredients in a freezer bag, meal prep container or reusable silicone bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before cooking as directed above.
- After cooking- this recipe can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.