Farro arugula salad is a delicious vegetarian meal prep recipe! With snap peas, feta cheese, egg and a tangy vinaigrette, it is filling and delicious!
Farro is so under-appreciated in the meal prep world: it is chewy and holds up so great even in a vinaigrette for multiple days!
Not only that, but farro is surprisingly high in protein…6 g for 1/4 cup! Find out more about farro (how to cook it and ways to use it) in this How to Cook Farro post.
This salad is such a great and filling vegetarian recipe. It’s easy to prep, customizable based on what’s in your fridge, and keeps so well for 4 days!
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
This farro arugula salad
- is a great source of vegetarian proteins which makes it so filling
- is ready in 30 minutes
- is a delicious blend of flavors and textures
How to make it
There are a few components to this salad but it all comes together really quickly.
- cook farro– you can cook it in your Instant Pot or on the stove, and it takes around 25 minutes to cook through. Find full details on How to Cook Farro.
- cook eggs– I love my 6 quart Instant Pot for cooking eggs. Check out this tutorial on Instant Pot Eggs.
- vinaigrette– using my favorite White Wine Vinaigrette. Shake it up in a 1/2 pint jar or salad dressing shaker.
- veggies– I used raw snap peas and arugula to keep things simple. Steamed asparagus is also great in this recipe!
How to store it for meal prep
Often I find that salads must be stored in mason jars to keep the vinaigrette separate from the greens. But in the case of this arugula farro salad, I found that layering the farro + dressing on one end of the container and the arugula on the opposite end worked just fine.
Here are two meal prep options to store it:
- 3 cup meal prep containers– store the farro (+ vinaigrette) on one end of the container and the arugula on the other end.
- 1 pint jar– layer in the following order: vinaigrette, farro, snap peas, feta, chopped up egg, arugula. Shake into a bowl to serve.
What is the salad dressing in this recipe? We are using a simple white wine vinaigrette recipe, but you can jazz it up by adding 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and the zest of a lemon!
Tips and equipment
- I prefer larger 3 cup meal prep containers (as opposed to my usual favorite 2 cup meal prep containers) as it gives the salad more space to ‘breathe’
- though soft boiled eggs are pictured for two of the salads, I’d recommend hard boiled for 4 day storage
- looking for more vegetarian meal prep ideas? Check out these Falafel Salad Bowls, these Spicy Tofu Noodle Bowls and Instant Pot Fiesta Rice Bowls. Or check out this round up of Vegetarian Meal Prep Ideas!
Farro Arugula Salad (Meal Prep)
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey (or maple syrup)
- 1/4 teaspoon dijon
- salt & pepper
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups arugula
- 8 oz snap peas
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- Rinse farro, then cover with 4 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cover and cook (simmering) for 25 minutes or until farro is cooked through to your liking.
- Drain extra cooking liquid and allow farro to cool before portioning out.
- Shake together all ingredients and set aside.
- Toss together all ingredients and enjoy!
For meal prep
- Toss the farro in the vinaigrette and arrange on one end of a 3 cup meal prep container. Add the arugula to the opposite side and place the snap peas in between the arugula and farro. Add the egg and feta cheese.
- Store for up to 4 days in the fridge. Toss together before serving.