Make your own Thai coconut instant noodles! Much healthier than the store-bought kind, and they have so much flavor.
These Thai coconut instant noodles have a slightly spicy Thai flavor with a bit of a creamy consistency. They are so delicious and one of my favorite lunches to have! One of the reasons these instant noodles are my favorite lunches is because they are so customizable! You can use any kind of noodle you have on hand, whatever vegetables are on hand or in season and the protein is completely interchangeable too!
These noodles cups are good up to about 3 days in the fridge, so they make a great make-ahead work lunch recipe. I recommend these stoneware portable mugs, as they are much safer to pour boiling water in than glass jars. I LOVE mine and use them all the time!
Reasons to ♡ these Thai coconut instant noodles
- they are easy to make up to 4 days ahead
- they are just like instant noodles- just add water!
- they are super customizable and have swaps suggested
The Flavor Base
For the flavor base, you will need a chicken stock concentrate (*), Thai curry paste (red or green), lime juice, and brown sugar. I recommend using the Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base as it contains natural ingredients.
*Chicken stock concentrate is not the same as bouillon cubes. I prefer the chicken stock concentrate as it dissolves easier in this recipe.
For this recipe, I've used whole wheat spaghetti cooked al dente as my pasta. You are welcome to swap this with your favorite noodles, however, you will need to make sure it is cooked most of the way through before adding to your noodle cups, as adding the boiling water will have minimal effect on cooking the noodles.
Here are some guidelines:
- Any regular pasta noodle- cook first
- Ramen- cook first
- Vermicelli (thin rice noodles)- no need to cook first
- Zucchini noodles- no need to cook first
Equipment and storage
Make sure you use jars that can withstand a quick temperature change, like mason jars or meal mugs. Repurposed pasta or nut butter jars are not made to withstand high temperatures and I do not recommend using these. These instant noodle cups will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge and I do not recommend freezing them.
Recipe tips + swaps
- bouillon- make sure to use a chicken stock concentrate rather than a bouillon cube. This ensures that it will dissolve properly once the hot water is added.
- Thai curry paste- you can use red or green curry paste for this recipe
- veggies- I recommend using fully thawed frozen vegetables, as they have already been cooked before freezing, and are softer upon thawing. A thinly sliced stir fry mix works well in this recipe.
- protein- feel free to play around with the protein- fully cooked chicken, beef or pork will work, as will chickpeas
More Noodle Recipes
- Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Spicy Instant Pot Peanut Noodles
- Asian Chicken Soba Noodle Salad
- Spicy Tofu Noodle Meal Prep Bowls (vegan)
- Cold Sesame Noodle Meal Prep Bowls (Vegan)
Thai Coconut Healthy Homemade Instant Noodles
- ¼ cup coconut milk full fat
- 2 teaspoons chicken stock concentrate see note 1
- 1 teaspoon Thai green curry paste see note 2
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat spaghetti cooked al dente (see note 3)
- ½ cup frozen vegetables thawed (see note 4)
- ½ cup chicken breast cooked and cut into small pieces (see note 5)
- In the following order, place in a portable stoneware mug: coconut milk, green curry paste, chicken stock concentrate, lime juice, brown sugar, spaghetti, veggies and chicken breast.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- When ready to serve, pour boiling water up to the top of the cup (about ½ cup). Allow to sit for 3 minutes, then put a lid on it and shake until everything is completely combined.
- Serve immediately.