Berry quinoa breakfast meal prep is a great alternative to oatmeal! Simple and delicious with chewy quinoa, crunchy almonds and sweet berries. Gluten-free, vegan, clean eating, and prepped in under 30 minutes!
Quinoa breakfast meal prep
Steel cut oats are one of my favorite breakfasts, but it is also great to mix things up once in awhile. If you are looking for a meal prep breakfast oatmeal alternative, then this quinoa breakfast meal prep might be perfect for you!
This quinoa breakfast recipe is slightly sweet (you can add as much or as little sweetener as you’d like), with chewy, nutty quinoa, crunchy almond slices and sweet berries.
You can make this super hands off and cook your quinoa in a rice cooker, or you can prepare this on the stove top.
Either way, this quinoa breakfast meal prep is ready in under 30 minutes, and is incredibly simple to prepare!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save it for later!
How to make breakfast quinoa
Maybe eating quinoa for breakfast sounds a little strange to you, but stay with me! I promise, it is really yummy!
To cook the breakfast quinoa, I simmered my quinoa in some almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla. If you are cooking in a rice cooker, I do not recommend using almond milk, as it froths up and bubbles through the vent, making a big mess. I use water instead, and it’s still very delicious!
You could also prep this quinoa breakfast meal prep in your Instant Pot by cooking on high pressure for one minute, then naturally releasing for 15.
Let’s talk toppings and mix ins for quinoa breakfast bowls! Like oatmeal, the sky’s the limit with this quinoa breakfast meal prep. I always sweeten with some maple syrup, about 1-2 tablespoons per batch. You can add more or less, depending on your preference.
- Nuts- for this recipe I used sliced almonds, but walnuts, pecans, macadamia nut would probably be great in here.
- Seeds- sunflower, pumpkin, hemp or chia seeds are all great options
- Berries- pretty much any berry would do! I like to add in frozen berries and let them thaw on the quinoa overnight. Then you get those yummy berry juices mixing into your quinoa, plus it’s cheaper to buy frozen.
- Apples- you can mix in some unsweetened applesauce after cooking, and you can even cook some peeled and chopped apples into the quinoa while it cooks.
- Pumpkin- I haven’t tried but fully plan on stirring some pumpkin puree into my quinoa breakfast meal preps in the fall! Add some pumpkin pie spice and it’s going to taste like heaven!
- Peanut Butter- I like drizzling some natural PB on top of my breakfast quinoa just before serving.
Do you eat this breakfast quinoa hot or cold? You can really go either way. Served cold, I top it up with almond milk and it’s kind of like a bowl of cereal (but much healthier for you!). You can also warm it up and enjoy it more like steel cut oats. Add as much or as little almond milk as you’d like before re-heating.
How long does this quinoa breakfast meal prep last? I store it for 4 days in the fridge. But guess what? It also happens to be freezer friendly, so if you want to prep a really big batch, you could portion it out and freeze for long term, thawing portions as needed.
How can I make this breakfast quinoa more filling? To up the protein factor and make this more filling, you can add some protein powder, a dollop of greek yogurt, or a drizzle of nut butter.
I stored my quinoa in 1 cup jars, which was perfect for a portion of quinoa, but there wasn’t much space for berries. If you’d like to portion out a full serving of berries (I use a full cup), I recommend these glass storage containers. They are microwave and freezer safe!
To reheat, simply add a bit more almond milk, stir it all up, heat for a minute or so on 80% so it is lightly heated. And enjoy!
I love that you can just grab these out of the fridge and take them with you, so if you are in a serious rush, you still get to eat a nutritious breakfast.
OK friends! That’s it for today.
Looking for more easy meal prep breakfast recipes?
- try these Healthy Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
- or these 7 Healthy Breakfast Egg Muffins
- or these No Flipping Meal Prep Protein Pancakes
- or check out this round up with more than 36 Healthy Breakfast Meal Prep Ideas
Quinoa Breakfast Meal Prep
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups almond milk * see notes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 cups mixed berries
- 4 tablespoons sliced almonds
- In a medium pot, combine the quinoa, almond milk, cinnamon, and cardamom.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 or so minutes, until the quinoa is cooked through.
- Cool quinoa. Stir in the maple syrup, and divide into four containers: ¾ cup cooked quinoa, 1 cup fruit, 1 tablespoon sliced almonds.
- Instant Pot- use water in place of almond milk. Cook on high pressure for 1 minute. Allow Instant Pot to naturally release.
- Rice Cooker- use water in place of almond milk. Use the 'white rice' setting if there is one on your rice cooker.