This healthier taco casserole can go directly from the freezer into the oven for an easy weeknight dinner! Family-friendly and super easy to prep.
Time for another healthier casserole recipe! After sharing this Healthier Chicken & Cauliflower Casserole, I’m back with another easy casserole recipe!
Disclaimer: this post was sponsored by Grimm’s Fine Foods. Thank you for supporting the brands that I love!
Grimm’s Fine Foods has a new line of organic tortillas that are absolutely perfect for this taco casserole recipe!
I used the Organic Wheat & Corn Tortillas, but the Multigrain or Original Tortillas would also work great. These tortillas are certified Organic and Non GMO, traditionally crafted with the finest organic and natural ingredients. This is a new line for Grimm’s and coming to your grocer soon! Grimm’s also carries other types of tortillas.
Grimm’s also carries other types of tortillas including gluten free rice tortillas that are endorsed by the Canadian Celiac Association.
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Reasons to love this taco casserole recipe:
- you can prep it ahead and freeze (perfect for new moms or just general easy dinners!)
- it can go directly into the oven from frozen (like when you forget to thaw something out)
- it’s delicious and family-friendly
How to make this easy taco casserole
This recipe is very loosey-goosey and you can really throw it together with what you have in your pantry and what you have in the fridge.
- cook some ground meat– I used ground turkey for these photos and ground beef for the video!
- chop up some veggies– I used bell peppers, you could add in some zucchini, mushrooms or onions (cut them all quite small)
- toss up all your filling ingredients with taco seasoning: cooked meat, chopped veggies, diced tomatoes, corn & black beans (both optional!) and homemade taco seasoning. Or purchase pre-made as an easy shortcut!
- layer up your casserole– you can really take creative liberties here. Use a DEEP 9 x 9 inch dish and pack it in tight. I did 3 layers of Grimm’s tortillas, topping with the filling and shredded cheese. End with some of the filling and cheese.
- bake it up (or freeze at this point!). Covered for 30 minutes, uncovered for 10.
Enjoy your easy taco casserole as is, or with avocado slices, greek yogurt, salsa, or your fave taco extras.
How do you fit the tortillas in this taco bake casserole? I cut them in halves and quarters and arrange them (like above) to cover any gaps or holes.
Can I make this taco bake casserole vegetarian? Absolutely! Skip the ground meat and be sure to include the black beans.
How long does this easy taco casserole last for? In the freezer (pre-baking)? 3 months. In the fridge? Up to 4 days but it’s best enjoyed within the first 2-3 days as the tortillas do get mushy as it sits.
How do you layer taco casserole? I did filling/cheese/tortillas three times, finishing with filling & cheese. You can honestly layer it however you want, it’s a very forgiving recipe!
How to freeze this taco bake casserole
This makes for such an easy freezer meal, I would actually recommend making 2-3 batches to prep a bunch all at once (if you have the space in your freezer).
To freeze this taco bake casserole, we are going to assemble up to the baking step, but we won’t bake. Instead, wrap in foil, label with the baking directions, and freeze!
- I remove my foil (to be reused for another freezer meal) and cover with a reusable silicone lid before baking!
How to bake this taco bake casserole from frozen
- heat oven to 350°F
- bake frozen casserole (covered) for 55 minutes
- remove cover and bake for another 10 minutes until cheese is bubbly and everything is warmed through
How to bake this taco bake after thawing
- heat oven to 350°F
- bake thawed casserole (covered) for 20 minutes
- remove cover and bake another 10 minutes until cheese is bubbly and everything is warmed through
What to serve with taco casserole:
We enjoyed straight up as is, but you could add your favorite taco toppings:
- tortilla chips or strips
- guac or avocado slices
- sour cream or greek yogurt
- salsa or fresh chopped tomatoes
- cilantro or green onions
Tips & equipment for taco casserole:
- use a DEEP 9 x 9 inch dish and pack the filling in tightly, or you can use a 9 x 13, however cook times may vary slightly. This is the one I used!
- here’s my reusable silicone lid
- here’s my EASY Homemade Taco Seasoning, which works great in this recipe!
- looking for more healthy casserole recipes? Check out this Mexican Spaghetti Squash Casserole, this Healthier Chicken & Cauliflower Casserole and this Instant Pot Enchilada Casserole
Healthier Taco Casserole
- 1 lb ground meat (beef or turkey)
- 19 oz diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning (store bought or homemade both work great)
- 1 bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 can corn (drained)
- Black beans (optional; they make this casserole VERY full!)
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded; or Monterey Jack)
- 4 Grimm's Corn & Wheat Tortillas (cut in half)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a deep 9 x 9 inch baking dish with spray oil and set aside.
- Cook ground meat in a large pan, breaking it up with a spatula, until no longer pink (around 10 minutes). Drain excess liquid and transfer to a large bowl.
- To the bowl, add the diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, bell pepper, corn, and optional black beans. Mix it up until well combined.
- Layer the casserole in the baking dish: Start by covering the base with tortillas (arrange them so there are no holes).
- Next, add 1/3 of the mixture from the bowl. Sprinkle with 1/3 of cheese.
- Repeat with all remaining ingredients, finishing with cheese.
- Cover casserole and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Let casserole stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy with tortilla chips, avocado slices, or greek yogurt.
- Leftovers keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. The tortillas get soggy after about day 2.
- Assemble up to step 6, then cover tightly with foil (label with date and instructions) and freeze. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To bake from frozen, bake at 350°F for 55 minutes (covered). Uncover and bake another 10 minutes.