This post shows you how to make healthy smoothies with step by step photos, a detailed list of add-ins, and 36 recipes for you to try!
When I feel like I haven't eaten enough fruits or veggies in the day, I pull out my blender and whip up healthy smoothies for the whole family! I love that you can sneak so many healthy ingredients into a smoothie for a big nutrition boost.
Today I am showing you exactly how to make healthy smoothies- these tips will help you get perfectly smooth smoothies, even with a cheaper blender!
We'll also discuss some nutritional add ins that can level up the nutrition in your smoothies, and can even work as a meal replacer.
Finally, I'm sharing 36 healthy smoothies that you can make.
Which blenders work best for smoothies?
To make a smoothie, you absolutely must have a stand blender. Immersion blenders and food processors will not work. I have owned a few blenders over the years, and the good news is that all of them worked for making smoothies!
- cheap model– I used a basic blender similar to this one for years and it worked well for me
- Vitamix– I recently upgraded to this Vitamix blender and really love it, but it is an investment
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Tips for blending perfectly smooth smoothies using cheaper blenders
- add your greens and blending liquid first to get a nice, smooth texture (no one likes to drink chunks of spinach)
- try blending for longer to get them silky smooth
- cheap blenders may require more liquid to blend properly
How to make a smoothie
To make a smoothie, you will need:
- 1 ½ cups of a frozen fruit base- I personally use frozen mango or peaches, but many people use frozen bananas. Your fruit must be frozen in order for your smoothie to be thick.
- 1 ½ cups blending liquid- almond milk (or other non dairy milk), dairy milk, juice, coconut water, or water.
- other add-ins- chia seeds, vanilla extract, cinnamon, ground flax, matcha powder, adaptogens, goji berries, tofu, oatmeal, protein powder and more (discussed below)
1. Blend greens first- Add greens to the blender, then add blending liquid (almond milk, water, juice or dairy milk all work). Blend until greens are completely smooth. *if your smoothie does not have greens, skip this step
2. Fruit + other add ins- Add frozen fruit, and all other smoothie add ins. Blend again. If the blender gets stuck, add in more blending liquid and try blending again.
3. Serve- Smoothies are best served immediately after blending. As they sit, the frozen fruit thaws, resulting in a thinner smoothie.
What are the best smoothie add ins?
You can get creative with smoothie add ins to boost the nutrition.
|Add in||Nutritional Benefits|
|1 tablespoon hemp seeds||for added fat, Vitamin E and minerals (1)|
|1 tablespoon ground flax||for added fiber, omega-3-fatty acids, vitamins and minerals (2)|
|¼ of an avocado||for added healthy fats, vitamins and minerals (3)|
|1 tablespoon goji berries||for antioxidants, vitamins and minerals (4) note- goji berries can interact with some drugs and should be used with caution|
|1 tablespoon coconut oil-||for healthy fatty acids (medium chain triglycerides) (5)|
|1 cup packed spinach, kale, or leafy greens-||for a variety of nutritional benefits including antioxidants, vitamins, iron and other minerals (see more info here)|
|¼ cup oatmeal||for added fiber and minerals (6)|
|½ scoop protein powder or collagen||for added protein which is easy to digest and absorb (10)|
|3 oz silken tofu||for added protein (11)|
Smoothie freezer packs
You can save yourself some time and encourage yourself to drink more smoothies by assembling blending ingredients ahead (minus the liquid) in smoothie freezer packs. Here's how to make them:
- Place frozen fruit in the bottom of a 1 pint jar. Place add-ins on top, and leafy greens in last.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To blend, shake jar contents into the blender. If fruit gets stuck, shake it up with some of the blending liquid until loosened.
- Add blending liquid and blend until smooth.
- Pour back into the jar and drink.
See more details on making smoothie packs, including a video, at 7 breakfast smoothie recipes
36 healthy smoothies
- Immunity Boosting Triple Berry Kiwi Smoothie by The Pretty Bee
- Peach Smoothie by Dinner at the Zoo
- Immunity Boosting Orange Smoothie by Kristine's Kitchen
- Apple Pie Protein Smoothie by Running with Spoons
- Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie by The Recipe Rebel
- Glorious Greens Pear Smoothie by Gather for Bread
- Immune Boosting Multi-Colored Beet Smoothies by Fool Proof Living
- Almond Butter Banana Smoothie by Melanie Makes
- Pineapple Mango Mint Smoothie by Primavera Kitchen
- Post Workout Green Smoothie by Gimme Some Oven
- Rainbow Smoothie by The First Year Blog
- Pumpkin Smoothie by Kristine's Kitchen
- Mixed Berry Smoothie by Dinner at the Zoo
- Carrot-Ginger Citrus Immune Boosting Smoothie by Vanilla and Bean
- Prep Ahead Espresso Oat Breakfast Smoothie by Meal Plan Addict
- Blueberry Coconut Water Smoothie by Sweet Peas and Saffron
- Blackberry Banana Protein Smoothie by The Creative Bites
- Mango Lime Smoothie by Annie's Noms
- Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie by Celebrating Sweets
- Spinach Cucumber Smoothie by Happy Food Tubes
- Healthy Strawberry Watermelon Smoothie by Food Faith Fitness
- Apple Cider Smoothie by Dizzy Busy, and Hungry
- Kiwi, Mango And Pineapple Smoothie by Recipes from a Pantry
- Kale Pineapple Smoothie by Fool Proof Living
- Blueberry Banana Oat Smoothie by Flavor The Moments
- Healthy Strawberry Banana Smoothie by Kristine's Kitchen