This blueberry coconut water smoothie is packed full of healthy, anti-oxidant rich ingredients, and is kid-approved! Make it in under 5 minutes, or assemble ahead as freezer packs.
This coconut water smoothie is full of nutritious and delicious ingredients, it is banana-free and also free of any added sugar! If you are looking for more smoothie recipes check out these 7 breakfast smoothies.
This blueberry coconut hemp smoothie could really be considered a base recipe. Swap the blueberries for cherries, strawberries, or any other berry for that matter. Add a handful of spinach. Add in some chia seeds, flax, or your favorite smoothie add-ins.
Blueberries are one of my favorite superfoods, packed with anti-oxidants, linked to improved memory, and low in sugar.
I added coconut water and a touch of coconut extract to bring out the coconut flavors, added some hemp hearts (which I'm a bit obsessed with, they have the most delicious nutty flavor and crunchy texture!), and a touch of Greek yogurt to bring out the creaminess in this smoothie. This is officially one of my favorite afternoon snacks.
The blueberries, coconut, and slightly nutty hemp seeds go together so incredibly well, and you don't need any additional sweetener since the blueberries bring enough sweetness on their own.
This is a great recipe for kids, with the enticing purple color. You don't need to tell them that it's good for them...that would just ruin it for them, right? 😉
We love this healthy coconut water smoothie because
- it is a super healthy and easy breakfast meal
- it is meal prep friendly
- it is gluten-free, banana-free and refined sugar-free
Let's talk ingredients!
For this coconut water smoothie you'll need:
- blueberries- avoid the wild blueberries as this can make your smoothie watery
- yogurt- plain, full-fat or Greek yogurt (avoid yogurt with added sugars.) Use coconut yogurt for dairy-free/vegan
- coconut water- find it in the international food aisle or the natural/organic aisle of your grocery store.
- coconut extract- totally optional but it boosts the coconut flavor
- hemp hearts- or your favorite smoothie add-ins like chia seeds or ground flax
Meal prep tips
- meal prep- prep this smoothie fresh or make freezer smoothie packs to save time (directions are in the recipe card)
- blending- if you are adding spinach and do not have a good quality blender, blend the spinach with the blending liquid first to get it completely smooth. Then add in the frozen fruit and other ingredients
- straws- I love using reusable silicone straws in my smoothie in place of stainless steel.
Find my favorite blender, straws and smoothie add-ins in my shop!
Do I need to add the yogurt?
The yogurt makes this smoothie extra thick and creamy, but you can leave it out. Swap for coconut yogurt if you are avoiding dairy.
Can I swap the blueberries?
Sure, you can swap for your favorite berry or even for a frozen berry blend.
Is coconut water healthy?
Coconut water is packed with several nutrients and antioxidants. It is also a good way to stay hydrated and prevent kidney stones.
More healthy smoothie recipes for us:
- Anti-Inflammatory Turmeric Smoothie with Pineapple
- Green Mango Superfood Smoothie
- Cherry Peach Goji Berry Smoothie
- Strawberry Mango Chai Smoothie
- Strawberry Smoothie Recipe
- 1 ½ cups frozen blueberries
- 1 cup coconut water
- ½ cup yogurt full-fat plain or greek
- ¼ teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- Combine all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.
- do not add coconut water until you are ready to blend
- get the jar into the freezer ASAP so the fruit doesn't thaw and then refreeze to the jar (makes it hard to get it out.
- to get out of the jar, gently scrape with a spoon. If anything gets stuck, fill jar ½ way with coconut water and allow to sit for 1 minute. Put the lid on, shake it up, and this should loosen things up.
- dump smoothie pack contents into the blender with coconut water and blend until smooth
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.