5 simple ingredients and 15 minutes is all you need to make these barbecue chicken lettuce wraps! Light, full of flavor, and a real crowd pleaser.
Guys, I almost didn't post this recipe because it's SO simple. But I figure that we all love easy dinner recipes and these barbecue chicken wraps are the perfect meal when you need to get something on the table quick.
You guys LOVED these Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps, and it's about time I shared another lettuce wraps recipe!
All you need for today's recipe is five simple ingredients: lettuce, chicken, barbecue sauce, onions and cilantro. Together, they make a fresh, crunchy, tangy, delicious entree!
Sharing all the tips for how you can get this on your table in 15 minutes or less, and how you can prep it for meal prep below...let's discuss!
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Why you're going to love these barbecue chicken lettuce wraps
- only 5 ingredients needed
- they are ready in 15 minutes
- they are low carb as written but you can make them keto with a few swaps!
How to make them
This is an embarrassingly simple recipe, but I love it because it kicks us out of our normal dinner routine!
- cook chicken- I cut my chicken breasts really small (about ⅓- ¼ inch) and you can swap for ground chicken, turkey, pork or beef.
- toss chicken in barbecue sauce- I used Newman's Own Barbecue Sauce for this recipe, but use your favorite! If you are keto, try making your own Low Carb Barbecue Sauce, or you can check out these store-bought brands.
- spoon into lettuce leaves- I used romaine because I seriously LOVE the crunch it gives to lettuce wraps. You can also use butter lettuce for wraps.
- sprinkle with cilantro and red onion- you can omit these toppings or you can bring it up a level and add a bit of pineapple, just like my favorite barbecue chicken pizza flavors 😍. Some other ideas? Sauteed bell peppers, corn and black beans.
Can I swap the chicken for another protein? Absolutely, ground meat works really well in most lettuce wrap recipes and I think ground chicken, pork, beef or turkey would be a great sub.
Can I serve this as a regular wrap? Yes, I would serve these in a flour tortilla but I think some extra veggies would be needed. Try adding romaine lettuce, shredded cabbage, grilled zucchini & onions or steamed sweet potato to the wraps.
Can I swap the barbecue sauce? Yes! I have lots of ideas for you: swap for sweet chili sauce, hoisin sauce, or this homemade teriyaki sauce. A greek version with this super speedy tzatziki sauce would also be amazing!
Can I meal prep these lettuce wraps? Absolutely, you can pre-cook your chicken up to 4 days ahead and re-heat just before serving. Keep the chicken and lettuce separate until you're ready to serve.
Serve it with
We may have different appetites, but I am not filled up by lettuce wraps, so I treat them like an entree and add in some sides.
- grilled pita or naan- we toss them on the grill for a few minutes to heat them up.
- sweet potato- lately we've been grilling them but there are a bajillion ways to cook them in this How to Cook Sweet Potatoes post
- side salad- we loved eating it with this Summer Couscous Salad but I bet it would also be great with our Staple Kale Salad
Tips & equipment
Barbecue Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (cut into very small ⅓ inch cubes)
- 8 romaine lettuce leaves (I prefer the ones to the middle of the head)
- ⅓ cup barbecue sauce (see *)
- ¼ red onion (sliced very thin)
- cilantro leaves
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a frying pan. Add the chicken and cook for 5 or so minutes, until no longer pink.
- Toss the chicken in barbecue sauce.
- Spoon chicken into the romaine leaves, sprinkling with red onion and cilantro leaves.
- Enjoy immediately.
- Chicken can be cooked up to 4 days ahead. Refrigerate in a sealed container, and re-heat to serve.