5 simple ingredients and 15 minutes is all you need to make these barbecue chicken lettuce wraps! Light, full of flavor, and a real crowd pleaser.
When you need dinner and you need it fast, wraps are the way to go! From Greek chicken wraps to Thai turkey lettuce wraps to these barbecue chicken lettuce wraps, there are so many easy options for you.
All you need for this recipe is five simple ingredients: lettuce, chicken, barbecue sauce, onions and cilantro. Together, they make a fresh, crunchy, tangy, delicious entree that you can have on your table in just 15 minutes!
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Reasons you'll ♡ this recipe
- BBQ sauce adds a ton of flavor to the chicken without having to make a sauce from scratch
- you need only 5 ingredients and 15 minutes to prep it
- they are low carb as written but you can make them keto with a few swaps!
Ingredients you'll need
- chicken- we are using boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, but you could use chicken thighs, or even ground chicken in place.
- BBQ sauce- use your favorite brand! I come back to Sweet Baby Ray's time and time again.
- lettuce- you can use butter, romaine or iceberg lettuce for lettuce wraps; I love the crunch that romaine adds!
Step by step directions
1. Cook chicken- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a frying pan. Add the chicken and cook for 5 or so minutes, until no longer pink.
2. Combine- Toss the chicken in barbecue sauce.
3. Serve- Spoon chicken into the romaine leaves, sprinkling with red onion and cilantro leaves.
Absolutely, ground meat works really well in most lettuce wrap recipes and I think ground chicken, pork, beef or turkey would be a great sub.
Yes, I would serve these in a flour tortilla but I think some extra veggies would be needed. Try adding romaine lettuce, shredded cabbage, grilled zucchini & onions or steamed sweet potato to the wraps.
Absolutely, you can pre-cook your chicken up to 4 days ahead and re-heat just before serving. Keep the chicken and lettuce separate until you're ready to serve.
You can use butter, romaine, or iceberg lettuce for lettuce wraps; I love the crunch that romaine lettuce adds.
Storage & meal prep
Lettuce wraps should be consumed immediately after adding the filling to the lettuce, but you can store them separately in the fridge:
- Cool filling completely, then store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheat in a frying pan over medium heat, or in the microwave until the filling is steaming hot.
- Spoon into the lettuce leaves and enjoy!
The filling may be freezer friendly- we advise freezing in a meal prep container or freezer bag for up to 3 months.
More light dinner ideas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into very small ⅓ inch cubes; see note 1
- 8 romaine lettuce leaves see note 2
- ⅓ cup barbecue sauce see note 3
- ¼ red onion sliced very thin
- cilantro leaves
- Cook chicken- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a frying pan. Add the chicken and cook for 5 or so minutes, until no longer pink.
- Combine- Toss the chicken in barbecue sauce.
- Serve- Spoon chicken into the romaine leaves, sprinkling with red onion and cilantro leaves.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.