Sharing 36 delicious rice bowl recipes that you can meal prep. These recipes are perfect for an office lunch or re-heatable dinner. Many of them are even freezer-friendly!
Rice bowls are a staple in my meal prep routine! I love rice bowls because they are a healthy, well-rounded meal that leaves me feeling full but not over-full.
Not only that, but rice bowl recipes are often freezer-friendly, meaning you can build up a good freezer stash and thaw as needed.
Types of rice
When it comes to the type of rice I use in my rice bowl recipes, I choose basmati. Why basmati? It is soft and fluffy like white rice, but has a low glycemic index, like brown rice. This means it breaks down more slowly and does not spike your blood sugars in the same way as minute rice.
Even though basmati rice is on the lower end of the glycemic index, it is still important to keep an eye on your portion size. I aim for 1/2 cup of cooked rice per portion. Loaded up with veggies and protein, it’s plenty filling.
Cooked rice has the worst rap when it comes to food safety. However, rice is perfectly safe to eat when cooked and stored properly:
- cool and refrigerate quickly
- store for 4-6 days (personally I have a 4 day rule for leftovers)
- reheat until steaming hot, and only reheat once
Rice is also safe to freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw completely in the fridge and re-heat until steaming hot.
How to cook rice
I am a bit of a rice snob. If you want perfect, fluffy rice, I urge you to check out the following posts:
OK. Enough about rice. Let’s talk rice bowls!
Turkey, pork & beef rice bowl recipes
These rice bowl recipes have so much variety! From pulled pork to sausages to beef, there are too many delicious options to pick.
Meatless rice bowls
I love a good meatless lunch, and these rice bowl options all look delicious to me! Stir fries, Mexican, sushi and Instant Pot recipes that are perfect for lunch or dinner.
Chicken rice bowl ideas
Of course nothing goes with rice like chicken, right? These chicken rice bowl ideas are versatile, healthy, and easy to prep. Stir fries, slow cooker, salads, curries and more.
Those are our 36 delicious looking rice bowl recipes. Do you have a favorite? Let me know below!
Build Your Own Rice Bowl & More Rice Bowl Ideas
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice (long grain white or brown rice recommended)
Protein (pick one)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 lb shrimp (tails removed + deveined)
- 1 package tofu (pressed + cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
Vegetables (use 4 cups)
- bagged slaw mix
- stir fry blend mix
- roasted vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, brussels sprouts)
- shredded carrots, cucumbers or radishes
- steamed vegetables (broccoli or cauliflower florets)
Sauce (use 2-4 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- green onions
- fresh lime wedges
- Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- Cook vegetables according to your favorite method. Stir fry mix is best sauteed. Slaw mix and shredded vegetables may be added uncooked.
- Assemble rice bowls: 1/2 cup rice1/2 cup protein (4 oz)1 cup vegetables1-2 tablespoons of sauce drizzled over topextra toppings