This tofu scramble and breakfast sweet potatoes is a healthy, make-ahead breakfast bowl recipe that will actually keep you full!
I love a good meal prep breakfast and when I am craving something savory this tofu scramble + sweet potato breakfast always hits the spot! Some of our other favorites are this tofu scramble recipe and these low carb breakfast meal prep bowls.
The tofu is broken up into small, manageable chunks that are *kind* of similar to eggs in texture. I added plenty of veggies and spices that liven up the flavor. It has plenty of flavors, a great texture, and served with these breakfast sweet potatoes and a dollop of Greek yogurt (or even better: avocado and cherry tomatoes), and you have yourself a healthy, delicious breakfast bowl that is actually going to keep you full!
To me, the highlight of these breakfast bowls is the sweet potatoes! They are sweet, savory, so creamy and the perfect complement to the tofu scramble. No skipping them, OK? It is SO nice to have one less thing to worry about in the morning by meal prepping this tofu bowls. Just pull out your breakfast bowl, reheat it in the microwave, and top with something creamy. Suggestions: Greek yogurt, avocado, or some cherry tomatoes.
Reasons to ♡ Tofu scramble + breakfast sweet potatoes
- it is a super filling and nourishing breakfast
- it is meal prep friendly
- and it is vegan!
Start with the breakfast sweet potatoes
To start, we will heat our oven, toss the sweet potato cubes in oil, salt, and pepper, and get them on a sheet pan to roast. They will need 25-30 minutes total, and make sure to flip them and stir them up halfway through.
The best tofu for a scramble
Tofu comes in many different types: silken, medium, and extra-firm (among many others!). For this recipe, we are using extra-firm tofu, as it holds a bit of a texture after mashing.
While normally, we would press our tofu first, for this tofu scramble, we don’t need to! Simply mash with a potato masher and we are ready to cook.
Cooking the tofu scramble
To start cooking the scramble, we first sautee diced onion, bell peppers, and asparagus until soft (around 5 minutes). At this point, we can add our mashed tofu, spices, nutritional yeast, and water and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Stir for another 3-4 minutes, until the tofu has absorbed the water, and then remove from the heat.
Storage + Meal Prep
This is such a great meal prep breakfast and keeps in the fridge for up to 4 days. To serve, you’ll want to reheat in the microwave or in a frying pan until steaming hot. Serve with avocado, fresh tomatoes, or your favorite toppings.
Find my favorite meal prep containers in my shop!
- The water is crucial in getting that ‘scrambled egg’ texture, and I don’t recommend skipping it
- Feel free to add ½ teaspoon turmeric to add a yellow color that is reminiscent of scrambled eggs
- Sweet potatoes can be swapped for red potatoes
- Swap the vegetables with what you have in the fridge, and adjust the cooking time accordingly
- I have not tried freezing this, but in my experience roasted sweet potatoes get slimy after freezing
More healthy and meatless breakfast options
- How to Cook Steel Cut Oats (+ 7 Flavors!)
- Fruit On The Bottom Overnight Oats
- Chocolate Chia Pudding
- Peach Baked Oatmeal Recipe
- How to Make Overnight Steel Cut Oats (no cook)
Make Ahead Tofu Scramble & Breakfast Sweet Potatoes
Breakfast Sweet Potatoes
- 1.5 lbs sweet potato cut into 1/2 inch cubes (5-6 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 2 bell peppers finely chopped
- 2 cups asparagus chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil, chili powder and salt.
- Arrange on a baking sheet (or two if they won't fit), and bake for 15 minutes. Stir up and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until cooked through.
- While sweet potatoes bake, prepare the tofu scramble: Mash the tofu with a potato masher until it is broken into small chunks.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan.
- Add the onion, bell peppers and asparagus, and cook for 5 or so minutes, until soft.
- Add the cumin, ground coriander, salt, pepper, and tofu. Cook for 2-3 more minutes, until completely combined.
- To assemble the breakfast bowls:Divide the tofu scramble and breakfast sweet potatoes amongst 6-8 containers. Store for up to 4 days in the fridge.
- To serve:Heat on medium in the microwave for 1 minute or until heated through. Top with fresh cherry tomatoes, avocado, and/or Greek yogurt.
More make-ahead breakfast recipes!
- Spinach, Feta and Egg Breakfast Quesadillas from Sweet Peas & Saffron
- Quinoa Egg Breakfast Muffin Recipe from Sweet Peas & Saffron
- Easy Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- Strawberry Chia Overnight Oats from Kristine’s Kitchen
- Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches from Flying on Jess Fuel