Start the day off right with these low carb breakfast meal prep bowls! Sauteed portobello mushrooms are served with asparagus, zucchini, red onion and Italian sausage, all with just 8 g net carbs.
When it comes to breakfast, I often get in a rut and eat the same thing over and over again. Steel cut oats on repeat.
It’s nice to mix things up and enjoy a savory breakfast once in awhile, and I really enjoyed these low carb breakfast meal prep bowls.
You get a ton of veggies and they are quite filling, but still light. And if you are watching your carb intake, these are great for you! Only 11 g carbs (8 g net carbs).
I’m not on a low carb diet, but I imagine it must be hard to find breakfast food that fits your diet…and by meal prepping these breakfast bowls ahead, you are setting yourself up for success!
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
How to make these breakfast bowls
I guess some people might call this a ‘hash’, or a sautee? It is a super simple one pan meal that you can prep in no time. In fact most of your time will be spent chopping up the veggies.
- first, cook your sausage according to the package directions.
- if you have lots of grease leftover from the sausage, I’d drain it off. If it’s just a little bit, use it to sautee the portobellos (YUM!)
- sautee portobellos, then remove from the pan.
- add the rest of the veggies and sautee
- portion everything out into meal prep containers.
Done! It’s kind of like a breakfast stir fry, except there isn’t even a sauce! I kept it simple with the seasoning since the sausages have so much flavor. You could add in some herbs or seasoning blends to add a bit more flavor to the veggies if you’d like!
- swap the portobellos for button or cremini
- swap the zucchini and asparagus for broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers or any other lower carb veg
- add in some extra seasoning (maybe one of these spice blends?), or even sprinkle with feta for extra flavor
- swap the sausage for scrambled eggs
- you could also make these on the grill if you don’t want to heat up your stove top
- Meal prep containers: I love these ones
- looking for more low carb meal prep recipes? Check out this Low Carb Cheesy Chicken & Rice Meal Prep, this Low Carb Greek Turkey Meal Prep, or this round up with more than 26 Low Carb Recipes You Can Meal Prep
Low Carb Meal Prep Breakfast Bowls
- 4 Italian sausages
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 portobello mushrooms sliced into strips
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 zucchini cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus chopped into bite-sized pieces
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Cook sausages according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- If needed, remove excess grease from the pan. Add olive oil and cook portobello mushrooms until cooked through (5-7 minutes). Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil and add the red onion, zucchini and asparagus. Season with salt and pepper, and if desired, red pepper flakes.
- Cook until softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Divide all ingredients between four meal prep containers.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Heat until steaming hot. Enjoy!