Start the day off right with these low carb breakfast meal prep bowls! Sautéed portobello mushrooms are served with asparagus, zucchini, red onion and Italian sausage, all with just 8 g net carbs.
While many people reach for fruit first thing in the morning, I personally love a good veggie-packed breakfast. Favorites include this Instant Pot breakfast casserole to these breakfast quesadillas, as well as these low carb breakfast meal prep bowls.
With sausage, portobellos, asparagus and zucchini, you get a ton of veggies in these breakfast bowls. They are quite filling, but still light. And if you are watching your carb intake, these are great for you! Only 11 g carbs (8 g net carbs).
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Reasons you'll ♡ this recipe
- it's simple to prepare in one pan, is filling and works well for meal prep
- it has only 8 g net carbs and works for a low carb diet
- it's a great egg-free option that will still fill you up!
- sausages- I've used spicy Italian sausages for these bowls, and they help to flavor the veggies. You can use your favorite sausages, though if you are following a low carb diet, it would be a good idea to look for sneaky carbs in the sausages.
- portobellos- these large mushrooms get a 'meaty' texture when roasted, and add great flavor to these bowls. You can swap them for quartered button or cremini mushrooms if you'd like.
- vegetables- asparagus and zucchini keep the carbs low and bulk out the breakfast bowls. Swap for broccoli, cauliflower or bell peppers.
- seasoning- the vegetables are only lightly seasoned as we found the sausages to bring big flavors to the bowls; you could add one of these 7 seasoning blends to the vegetables for added flavor.
Step by step directions
- Start by cooking your sausages in a frying pan, according to the package directions.
- If you have lots of grease leftover from the sausage, drain it off. If it's just a little bit, use it to sauté the portobellos (YUM!)
- Sauté portobellos, then remove from the pan.
- Add the rest of the veggies and sauté.
- Portion everything out into meal prep containers.
Done! It's kind of like a breakfast stir fry, except there isn't even a sauce! I kept it simple with the seasoning since the sausages have so much flavor. You could add in some herbs or seasoning blends to add a bit more flavor to the veggies if you'd like!
Storage & reheating
After cooking through and portioning out, allow the meal prep bowls to cool completely.
- fridge- store in meal prep containers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- freezer- I don't love freeze/thawed zucchini (gets slimy!); the other vegetables should freeze alright after thawing. Freeze in meal prep containers for up to 1 month.
- thaw- thaw overnight in the fridge.
- reheat- heat in the microwave until steaming hot; mix everything up and enjoy
Meal prep containers: I love these ones
- add in some cauliflower rice
- cook them on the grill or in an air fryer if you don't want to heat up your stove top
- serve with salsa or ranch dip
- add in some extra seasoning (maybe one of these spice blends?), or even sprinkle with feta for extra flavor
- swap the sausage for scrambled eggs
- swap the portobellos for button or cremini
- swap the zucchini and asparagus for broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers or any other lower carb veg
More low carb meal prep ideas
- Low Carb Cheesy Chicken & Rice Meal Prep
- Low Carb Greek Turkey Meal Prep
- 26 Low Carb Recipes You Can Meal Prep
- 4 Italian sausages
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 portobello mushrooms sliced into strips
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 zucchini cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus chopped into bite-sized pieces
- salt & pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Cook sausages according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- If needed, remove excess grease from the pan. Add olive oil and cook portobello mushrooms until cooked through (5-7 minutes). Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil and add the red onion, zucchini and asparagus. Season with salt and pepper, and if desired, red pepper flakes.
- Cook until softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Divide all ingredients between four meal prep containers.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Heat until steaming hot. Enjoy!
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.