≡ Menu

GREEK TURKEY BURGERS WITH WHIPPED FETA

Lemon, garlic and oregano turkey burgers are topped with whipped feta, tomatoes, cucumber and onions, and sandwiched between gourmet hamburger buns.

Greek Turkey Burgers with Whipped Feta | sweetpeasandsaffron.com

One of my favorite things about having a kid is that I get to relive my childhood.

Which means that I get to listen to Charlotte Diamond and Raffi {these are probably some pretty obscure Canadian artists to most of you}.  This week-end I was super excited to acquire some Robert Munsch books.  It is so funny how I don’t ‘remember’ these books or songs, yet somehow I know all the words!

And now that the 1980′s babies are having their own babies, a lot of 1980′s TV shows have ‘come back’…like Ninja Turtles and Transformers.  And My Little Pony!!  I was totally into MLP when I was a kid.  And I have seen some Care Bears stuff around.  Is that back on TV now?

Maybe someday we will get back He-Man and She-Ra {oops, I totally just wrote She-Man and He-Ra by accident :P}.  Or Duck Tales?  Or Rainbow Brite?  Has anyone got any other good ones they want to see back?

Greek Turkey Burgers with Whipped Feta | sweetpeasandsaffron.com

Greek Turkey Burgers with Whipped Feta | sweetpeasandsaffron.com

In between listening to “Baby Beluga” and reading “Mud Puddle” to Kai, we managed to get the grill going this week-end.  ‘Cause it’s officially summer and summer means it’s time to fire up the barbecue!

Truth be told, we BBQ all year round.  Rain…shine…snow…hail…tornadoes…But it’s much more enjoyable these days.

And since I somehow don’t have a single burger recipe on this blog, we had a situation to remedy!

Greek Turkey Burgers with Whipped Feta | sweetpeasandsaffron.com

Greek Turkey Burgers with Whipped Feta | sweetpeasandsaffron.com

These burgers are light but filling.  Did i just completely contradict myself?  What I mean is that you are left feeling satisfied but not over-stuffed…which is why I love turkey burgers.

These turkey burgers are packed with Greek flavors: fresh oregano, garlic and lemon.

Then the magic happens:  whipped feta.  Have you guys heard of this whipped feta thing?  Feta + cream cheese + food processor = MAGIC.

The feta gets all light and smooth, and I moistened it with some Greek yogurt {just sticking to the Greek theme here, ha ha}, and threw in some lemon, garlic and dill.

The whipped feta is so intense on its own…like holy feta, batman! kind of intense.  I mean, I was worried.  But slathered on top of the turkey burger, topped with tomatoes, onions and cucumbers, and sandwiched between two buns, it totally brings the wow to this burger.

Greek Turkey Burgers with Whipped Feta | sweetpeasandsaffron.com

Greek Turkey Burgers with Whipped Feta | sweetpeasandsaffron.com

So the thing is, I had to make a full batch of this whipped feta in order for it to properly whip in my food processor…halving it just didn’t achieve the same effect.  So if you are making it for two burgers, you are for sure going to have some left-overs.  This week I am going to be eating it on crackers, sandwiches, veggies, and I will see how it freezes.  I will report back with my findings.

But trust me, you will be sooooo verrrrry glad that you took the extra step of making this whipped feta for these burgers, it really brings the burger from yum! to yumeeeee!

And it really was so simple to make.  From start to finish, 30-ish minutes.  So I could get back to reading those Robert Munsch books…err…to Kai…

GREEK TURKEY BURGERS WITH WHIPPED FETA

Prep time
Total time

Moist turkey burgers packed with garlic, lemon and oregano, slathered with whipped feta, topped with tomatoes, onions and cucumbers, and sandwiched between gourmet hamburger buns.
Author:
  • 2 gourmet hamburger buns
  • 2 large slices tomato
  • 8 slices cucumber
  • 2 slices onion
Instructions
Greek Turkey Patties
  1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
  2. Form into 2 hamburger patties.
  3. Grill over medium-high heat for approximately 5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
Whipped feta
  1. Pulse feta in the food processor until crumbly.
  2. Add the cream cheese and mix until well combined.
  3. Throw in the dill, garlic and lemon zest.
  4. Add the Greek yogurt, 1 tbsp at a time, until the consistency you'd like is achieved, pulsing and scraping the sides of the processor as needed. It should be creamy, but still thick. I used 4 tbsp.
  5. Keep refrigerated until you are ready to serve your burgers.
Notes
There will be a lot of left-over whipped feta, but by halving the recipe, the feta does not properly whip in the food processor.
This burger deserves the best hamburger buns you can get your hands on.

Whipped Feta recipe adapted from Queen Ina Garten

Related posts:

{ 27 comments… add one }

• Katie June 23, 2014, 6:49 pm

You are bring back so many memories!! I used to watch Duck Tales every day after school! Loved that show! Thunder Cats was another classic. “Thunder..thunder..thunder cats Ho!” My boys are now into TMNT, who would’ve thought that mutant turtles would have such longevity?! This turkey burger looks Great! I am so making whipped feta!

• Denise June 24, 2014, 4:30 pm

I can still hear the Duck Tales theme song in my head…Duck Tales, Woo-ooo!

• Mary Frances June 23, 2014, 7:09 pm

“Satisfied but not over stuffed” -> THANK YOU. This is exactly what I want in the summer! Greek flavors are one of my favorites and absolutely perfect for summer! You remedied your burger recipe problem – big time. Gorgeous presentation and amazing recipe Denise!

• Denise June 24, 2014, 4:32 pm

Thanks, Mary Frances :) No one likes to feel overstuffed, especially when it’s hot out!

• Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel June 23, 2014, 10:31 pm

Whipped feta sounds spectacular!! And these burgers sound great– I love the crispy cukes on top!

• Denise June 24, 2014, 4:38 pm

Thanks Jess! Can’t have a ‘Greek salad’ without those crispy cukes ;)

• Kathy @ Olives & Garlic June 24, 2014, 1:21 am

Oh the memories of growing up in the 80′s and you’re right the 80′s shows are starting to make a comeback. I was just telling my husband that we need to watch the Gremlins with our daughter. :)
    Denise these are fabulous turkey burgers, healthy and flavorful. Love the flavors you have here.

• Denise June 24, 2014, 4:34 pm

For some reason, I’ve never watched the Gremlins…I think I was scared of them! Maybe we’ll have to dig that one up and watch it ;)

• Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor June 24, 2014, 1:32 am

Whipped feta is the best thing ever! I’ve never tried it on burgers, but definitely need to do that next time.

• Denise June 24, 2014, 4:35 pm

Yes, I am fully on board the whipped feta train now! Definitely give it a try on your next burger, it adds so much flavor.

• Natalie @ Tastes Lovely June 24, 2014, 2:41 pm

I can’t wait to have babies and get to relieve my favorite childhood shows and songs. I just loved Sesame Street when I was a baby. Can’t believe that show is still on air! They’ve helped raise generations : )

This burger sounds delicious! I am kind of obsessed with greek food lately, and can’t wait to try this whipped feta!

• Denise June 24, 2014, 4:36 pm

I love Sesame Street too! I love that the same characters are still on there, just makes me happy and nostalgic!

• Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner June 24, 2014, 4:01 pm

How about Gem and the Hollograms!? These turkey burgers look fantastic and I’m obsessed with that whipped feta!!

• Denise June 24, 2014, 4:37 pm

Oh Gem…I’ve never seen Hollograms though.

• Annie @Maebells June 24, 2014, 4:56 pm

These look amazing! I am usually don’t go for turkey burgers, mine always end up dry and tasteless, but this Greek version is fantastic! I loooove the whipped feta, I would just eat that with a spoon!

• nicole (thespicetrain.com) June 24, 2014, 9:06 pm

I hadn’t heard of the whipped feta magic but it sounds awesome! Will try it soon. :-)

• Denise June 25, 2014, 6:55 pm

The whipped feta is potent on it’s own, but on the burger= YUM!!

• Arpita@ TheGastronomicBong June 24, 2014, 9:27 pm

This turkey burger looks so delicious.. so healthy .. perfect summer burger….. :)

• Krystle(Baking Beauty) June 25, 2014, 2:34 am

These look and sound SO good! I never even knew feta could be whipped #dumbie

• Denise June 25, 2014, 6:56 pm

Whipped feta is a new concept to me, too!

• Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods June 25, 2014, 3:41 am

Wow, thanks for bring back some memories. We use to listen to Raffi with my kids when they were little. I kinda miss the innocence of kid music. :D
    These burgers look amazing. I love using turkey for burgers and in place of ground beef for other recipes. I need to try that whipped feta! Pinning

• Denise June 25, 2014, 6:54 pm

Kai just can’t get enough Raffi…I’m starting to reach my limits, though ;) Thanks, Cindy!

• Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice June 25, 2014, 11:45 am

I was obsessed with My Little Pony when I was younger…had a sleeping bag and play tent! Also loved Duck Tales too…do you remember the Nintendo game of that? So fun! These burgers look amazing! Love the whipped feta, definitely tops it off!

• Denise June 25, 2014, 6:57 pm

I don’t think I ever played the Duck Tales nintendo game…just Super Mario Bros in 2D. It seemed so advanced back then ;)

• Kathi @ Deliciously Yum! June 25, 2014, 4:54 pm

Whipped Feta… Where have you been all my life?! I can never seem to get enough of Greek flavors, especially in the summertime :). These burgers look mouthwatering!!

• Denise June 25, 2014, 6:58 pm

Yeah, what is it about Greek flavors and summer…I guess they are quite refreshing.