Freezer to grill fajita chicken skewers that can be assembled ahead, frozen, and go straight on the grill when you’re ready to cook. An easy, healthy, and seriously delicious meal prep dinner recipe!
I’m kind of a little excited about today’s recipe because it combines two of my favorite things: fajita flavors, and ridiculous dinner convenience.
OK make that three because there’s also guacamole involved!
I’ve had fajita chicken skewers on my recipe ‘to do’ list forever now, but haven’t gotten around to making them because…it just seemed like they had been done before, many times. But then after seeing this crazy tutorial from The Kitchn on freezing skewers ahead and putting them straight on the grill from the freezer, I knew I had my angle and they went to the top of my list.
It also didn’t hurt that I just posted 7 easy dry rub recipes and the fajita rub just happens to be one of my favorites. So freezer to grill fajita chicken skewers, you were meant to be!
If you are anything like my family, your grill is on non-stop during the summer. Well, that and your slow cooker. Anything to keep the oven off.
But it’s hard to find make ahead grill recipes. There are lots of marinade-type recipes (check out these 7 Chicken Marinades You Can Freeze if that’s what you’re looking for), but very few that go from freezer directly to grill.
I shared these Southwestern Grilled Turkey Burgers a few weeks and was so excited to find that they can go directly from the freezer to the grill. So so convenient!
These freezer to grill fajita chicken skewers are another super convenient recipe that you don’t have to remember to thaw out.
To make them ahead and freeze, you toss cubed chicken breast in some fajita seasoning with olive oil and lime juice, and skewer with bell peppers and red onions. Freeze on a baking sheet for a few hours and then transfer to a freezer bag (up to 1 month) or a storage container (1 week or so; short-term).
That’s it! When you’re ready to cook, put ’em straight on the grill. Watch out for hot spots on your barbecue, rotate frequently, and you will be rewarded with some seriously delicious chicken fajita skewers that you’d never know were frozen first! Don’t forget the guac 😉
Tips for perfect freezer to grill fajita chicken skewers:
- trim your skewers to fit your freezer bag or storage container, and soak them for 30 minutes or so while you’re chopping everything
- when cooking the frozen skewers, turn frequently (every 2 minutes) and rotate so nothing is on a hot spot for too long
- these would be great with any one of these 7 easy dry rubs
- more food on sticks: Chili Lime Chicken Skewers with Mango Sauce, Korean Beef Skewers, and Chipotle Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Maple Glaze
Freezer to Grill Fajita Chicken Skewers
- 14 oz chicken breast, cut into uniform 1 inch cubes (1 lb; roughly 2 large chicken breasts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning
- 3 bell peppers of different colors, cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 red onion, cut into 1 inch squares
- Trim wooden skewers to fit a large freezer bag, or a re-usable storage container. Place in a bowl of water to soak for 20 or so minutes.
- Toss the chicken in olive oil, lime juice and fajita seasoning.
- Thread onto skewers in alternating order and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Freeze skewers for 3 hours or until completely solid, before transferring to either a large storage bag or re-usable storage container.
- Freeze for up to 1 month.
To cook fresh (unfrozen)
- Heat barbecue over medium high heat.
- Brush skewers with an extra tablespoon of olive oil, and place over direct heat.
- Cook with lid down for 10 or so minutes, turning every 2 minutes, until cooked through.
To cook from frozen
- Brush frozen skewers with an extra tablespoon of olive oil, and place over direct heat.
- Cook with the lid down for 15 or so minutes, turning every 2 minutes, until cooked through.
Freezing and grilling method adapted from The Kitchn