Air fryer gnocchi is so crispy, is ready in just 13 minutes and does not need to be boiled! This is a great side dish alternative to potatoes or pasta, and also makes a great snack.
When it comes to gnocchi, I'm all about the unconventional ways to cook it. From sheet pan gnocchi to gnocchi skillets, I just love how it can get crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. So much better than boiled gnocchi!
This air fryer gnocchi puts all the other methods to shame! Unbelievably crispy, but still soft in the middle, you don't even need to boil it first.
You can serve this as a snack, side dish, or toss it in pasta sauce (or maybe some kale pesto) and enjoy as an entree.
Reasons to ♡ air fryer gnocchi
- it is crispy on the outside, soft in the middle
- it's cooked through in just 13 minutes
- it's a great side or base to a recipe
Wondering how this recipe comes together? Watch this 1-minute video to see how easy it is to prep! You can find more recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Use shelf stable gnocchi
These days, there are several different types of gnocchi on the market including fresh gnocchi, frozen gnocchi and cauliflower gnocchi. This recipe was tested using shelf-stable gnocchi, and the cook times are specific to this type of gnocchi.
This post suggests cooking cauliflower gnocchi for 10 minutes total in the air fryer, shaking it up half way through, but I have not been able to find any information about fresh gnocchi. Drop us a comment below if you try it!
Get creative with seasonings and sauces
The recipe below is quite simple with just olive oil, garlic powder and salt. I have also tested with dried herbs, but found them to fall off. I'd advise sticking to smaller ground spices, but it could be really fun to play around with these 7 spice rubs!
As for sauces, you'll want to toss the gnocchi in the sauce after cooking through, and serve immediately so you don't loose that amazing crispy texture. Some sauces that would be great on this recipe:
Step by step directions
This recipe is so simple, it could even be a good recipe to get your kids to help out on!
- Toss gnocchi in oil, garlic powder and salt.
- Transfer to the basket of your air fryer.
- Cook at 390°F, shaking occasionally, until golden and crispy (roughly 13 minutes).
This gnocchi is best served fresh, the reason being that it can dry out as it sits, but you can still store for up to 2 days.
- fridge- store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days
- reheat- bring the air fryer back to 390°F/200°C. Add the gnocchi to the basket and spray with spray oil. Cook for 3-5 minutes, shaking occasionally, until warmed through.
Which air fryer do you recommend?
I’ve been using a Phillips air fryer (similar to this one) for several years and it is still working great. However, if I could do it over again, I would buy the XL model, which fits more food. We also recently purchased the Instant Pot Vortex air fryer, but haven’t used it enough to comment on it.
More air fryer recipes
- Crispy Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
Seriously Crispy Air Fryer Gnocchi
- 1 lb gnocchi 450 g; see note 1
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Heat air fryer to 200°C/390°F.
- Toss gnocchi with olive oil, salt and garlic powder until evenly coated.
- Transfer gnocchi to the air fryer basket.
- Cook for a total time of 13 minutes, shaking 3-4 times during the cooking process. Gnocchi should be golden and crispy.