Creamy Thai curry sweet potato soup is slightly sweet and spicy, and is so creamy! With red lentils, carrots, and Thai red curry paste.
Sweet potatoes and Thai curry may not immediately seem like the should go together, but oh my goodness. They sure do.
This post was originally published in 2014, but was updated with fresh photos & video in 2019. Same great recipe!
It doesn’t matter what season it is, I crave this soup!
Red curry paste, fish sauce and lime juice bring the spicy/salty/sour flavors that are characteristic of Thailand, while sweet potatoes balance everything out with a bit of sweetness, and coconut milk brings a rich, creamy texture to the soup.
Between the red lentils, sweet potatoes and coconut milk, you will be hard pressed to find anything creamier than this Thai curry sweet potato soup!
Reasons to love this Thai curry sweet potato soup
- it’s ready in 30 minutes
- it is dairy-free and vegan-friendly
- it freezes great!
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
How to make this Thai curry soup
First, gather your ingredients:
- Sweet potatoes- around 4 cups, cubed. I leave the skin on!
- Aromatics- dice an onion, mince 2 cloves garlic, and grate some ginger (use the fine end of a box grater)
- Carrots- 2, peeled and sliced.
- Coconut milk– I actually really like the Thai Kitchen brand because it is so thick and creamy, but the Grace brand worked well in this recipe. Definitely go for full fat coconut milk if you can!
- Fish sauce & Thai red curry paste– again I love the Thai Kitchen brand, although I highly recommend the Mae Ploy red curry paste if you can find it!
- Red lentils- other types of lentils probably won’t work in this recipe
- Broth– I used my homemade bone broth, but any chicken or vegetable stock will work!
- Lime juice- I prefer fresh, but work with what you’ve got!
Let’s make soup!
This Thai curry soup is so simple to cook! Here’s how I make it:
- Sautee onions, then garlic & ginger.
- Add red curry paste and get it all mixed in.
- Add all other ingredients (except for the coconut milk).
- Cover & simmer until sweet potatoes and carrots are soft (20-ish min).
- Puree with an immersion blender (or use a stand blender, but be careful!)
- Add coconut milk and enjoy!
Does this sweet potato soup recipe store well? Yes! You can store it in the fridge for up to 4 days, or freezer for 3 months+. I like freezing in 1 quart jars (leave 1/4 empty and lids ajar until it freezes), or these reusable plastic freezer jars.
How can I make this soup vegan? Swap the fish sauce for vegan fish sauce or a few teaspoons of soy/tamari. Also- check the label on your curry paste as some contain seafood.
Can I cook this red lentil soup in an Instant Pot? I bet you could! Follow the directions for this Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup.
What can I swap for sweet potatoes? Swap for butternut squash or more carrots.
Tips & equipment for the BEST sweet potato soup recipe
- this is my my favorite immersion blender
- I love these meal mugs to bring my soup to work, and these containers to freeze it
- I have tested this soup with a bunch of different red curry pastes including Mae Ploy and Thai Kitchen
- Looking for more soup recipes? Try this Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup, this Butternut Squash Soup Recipe or this Healthier Beef Barley Soup
Thai Curry Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (finely grated)
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 4 cups sweet potato (peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes; roughly 500 g)
- 2 carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 3 cups stock (veggie or chicken; or homemade bone broth)
- 3/4 cup dried red lentils
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 lime (juiced)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 13.5 oz coconut milk (full fat recommended)
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and cooked through (roughly 5-7 minutes).
- Add the garlic and ginger, and cook for one minute.
- Add the curry paste and stir until onions/garlic/ginger are coated and you can smell the curry paste, 30 seconds-1 minute.
- Add the sweet potato, carrots, stock, lentils, fish sauce, lime juice and salt. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, until lentils and sweet potato are cooked through.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth and creamy. Stir in the coconut milk.
- This soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen for 3-6 months.