Herb & zucchini egg bake recipe is perfect for brunch or for meal prep! Loaded with veggies, herbs, cheese and a secret ingredient that prevents it from being too ‘mushy’ when reheating. Low carb and gluten-free!
While I do love this Overnight Breakfast Casserole with Sweet Potatoes & Bacon, it is a little bit labor intensive. A much easier solution? This herb & zucchini egg bake recipe, which you can get into the oven in as little as 15 minutes!
This recipe was originally posted in 2017 but has been tweaked, rephotographed and rewritten…and given a brand new video in 2019!
Eggs have a way of hiding veggies…and this is one of those recipes that is FULL of veggies, but you don’t really notice because you’re so distracted by the delicious flavor.
You could make this herb & zucchini egg bake recipe as a delicious brunch option, but my favorite way to enjoy it is as a meal prep breakfast.
I love that by cooking this ahead, breakfast is so easy to pop in the microwave and re-heat. Plus I get some greens in for breakfast and the eggs are so filling, they really do fuel me through the morning!
Reasons you’ll love this herb & zucchini egg bake recipe
- it’s full of greens but is not liquidy/watery
- it reheats incredibly well thanks to a secret ingredient
- it’s absolutely delicious!
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
How to prepare this breakfast bake
This is a really loosey-goosey recipe when it comes to veggies. You can throw in almost anything you happen to have in the fridge (more on that below!)
First, we will gather our ingredients:
- veggies– I am using an onion, shredded kale, and zucchini (pressing all moisture out!). The best thing about these ingredients is we don’t need to pre-cook them: they cook right along with the eggs in the oven
- eggs– use large eggs for this recipe
- milk– you can use dairy or almond milk
- herbs– oregano, basil, dill and salt
- cheese– I used mozzarella, but cheddar or even feta cheese would go well in here (omit salt if using feta)
- flour– yes, you read that right! Adding flour to this recipe helps with the moisture issue that comes with reheating eggs. You can use all purpose flour, gluten-free flour, or almond flour.
- baking powder– to help get a little bit fluffier of a breakfast bake
Time to cook your baked egg casserole!
Once you’ve prepped all your ingredients, it’s time to cook this herb & zucchini breakfast bake!
- spray a 9 x 9 inch casserole dish (I used this one!)
- mix together all ingredients in a large glass measuring dish
- pour the mixture into the baking dish
- bake for 30-35 minutes
- allow to sit for 10 minutes
- slice and enjoy!
What other ingredients can you use?
- spinach- chopped up
- broccoli- chopped finely
- cauliflower rice
- bell peppers- cut very small
- shredded sweet potatoes- no need to cook
- shredded hash browns
- ham- cubed
- bacon- cooked & chopped
- sun dried tomatoes- drained & chopped
Can I freeze this baked egg casserole? Yes you sure can. Cook, cool, portion out and freeze. I would recommend storing in a reusable meal prep container (thaw within a month) or wrap in plastic (for up to 3 months).
Can I skip the flour? Yes you can, however be prepared for a ‘wetter’ casserole.
Can I turn this breakfast egg bake into egg muffins? Sure! Follow baking instructions in this 7 Breakfast Egg Muffins post.
Tips & equipment for the perfect herb zucchini breakfast egg bake
- you can use a Pyrex 8 inch baking dish or this Crate & Barrel dish
- storage: pictured above is one of these 3 compartment meal prep containers. For freezer, wrap in plastic and store in a large freezer bag or in a large storage container
- more freezer-friendly egg based breakfasts: these Healthy Breakfast Burritos with Kale, Mushrooms & Feta, or these Broccoli Cheddar Breakfast Quesadillas
Herb Zucchini & Kale Egg Bake (Meal Prep)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (dairy or almond milk work great)
- 1/2 cup almond flour (all purpose or gluten-free flour work as well)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 1 cup zucchini (shredded & excess moisture squeezed out)
- 1 onion (chopped finely)
- 1 cup kale (chopped finely)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (mozzarella or cheddar are great)
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a 9 x 9 inch baking pan with spray oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, mixing well to combine.
- Pour into the baking pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until center no longer jiggles and a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
- Store in sealed containers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Store wrapped in plastic and in a larger bag or container for up to 3 months.
- To re-heat: Thaw overnight if frozen. Heat in the microwave in 30 second increments until heated through.