Lemony-tarragon spritzers are the perfect summery drink and would be great served at a BBQ. With a tarragon simple syrup, fresh lemon, and fizzy soda water.
I know what you're thinking.
Doesn't she know that we have crossed that magical threshold between August and September?
The threshold that means that we have transitioned from lemony summery things to pumpkiny fall things?
Well, I actually made these last week-end, when it was still officially August, but was sooo sloooow in posting them that it's now feeling kind of late for this type of drink.
Reasons you'll ♡ these lemony tarragon spritzers
- they are light, fizzy and refreshing
- they are a great way to use tarragon
- they would be perfect served at a summer BBQ!
Slow is the name of my game these days.
Slow walking, slow working, slow driving (followed by road raging my fellow unsympathetic fast driving road companions). Unfortunately I also seem to be slow in the 'thinking' category.
At 8 months pregnant, it is time to slow down!
(Which, by the way is why my posting frequency has also slowed down).
This drink was great to prepare because you can totally be lazy about it.
You do need to prepare a simple syrup, which will take you all of 10 minutes to make. Then set it aside to cool until you want to make your drink.
I'm not going to lie, I was a little dubious about pairing tarragon (which has a licoricey kind of flavor) with lemon, the flavors really complement each other, I promise you.
And the best thing for me is that I kind of felt like I was having a happy hour cocktail. It has a sort of gin and tonic (or my preference vodka and soda) sort of taste about it, with the herbal tarragon twist.
So make denial your friend, pretend that it's still August and make yourself one of these babies.
Tips & equipment for lemony tarragon spritzers
Tarragon Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 4 oz tarragon simple syrup one shot
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1 ½ cans soda water to taste (~⅓ of a can per drink)
- sprigs tarragon to garnish
Tarragon Simple Syrup
- Bring water and sugar to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add tarragon sprigs and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Remove tarragon sprigs before preparing drink. Enough for 4 drinks
- To prepare one spritzer, fill a glass with ice. Add one shot (2 oz) of cooled tarragon simple syrup, juice of half a lemon, and top with soda water to taste. Garnish with a sprig of tarragon, if desired.