Miso sesame grilled chicken kebabs are marinated in a delicious and flavorful mixture, then grilled. Simple to prepare and big flavors!
I feel like this summer I have been on a very Asian-inspired barbecue kick.
There has been Honey and Lime Thai Glazed Chicken Wings, Sriracha & Sesame Glazed Pork Tenderloin, and Grilled Salmon with a Lemongrass and Coconut Sauce (which is actually on the menu for dinner tonight).
Well, I am continuing this trend with today’s recipe…Miso and Sesame Grilled Chicken Kebabs.
Reasons you’ll ♡ these miso sesame grilled chicken kebabs
- you need a few simple ingredients
- you get big flavor for very little effort
- cooking on the grill means you don’t need to warm your oven up!
I was sold on this recipe before ever making it, simply for the fact that it contains sesame oil.
I am a complete and utter sesame oil addict. I loooove its smell, and the subtle sesame flavors that it lends to dishes. I would use it as body lotion if it wasn’t so…oily.
Complete random side note: have you ever wondered where sesame seeds come from? I mean, what the heck is a sesame, and what does it look like? Well, the Kitchn had an interesting article here that addresses this very question.
This recipe really ranks up there in terms of my favorites. It is more subtle than my previous Asian-BBQ recipes, but you can taste delicate flavors of miso, mixed with sesame oil and soy.
It is mildly sweet, and I added some hot pepper flakes to contrast that sweetness with a bit of spiciness. If you want it really spicy, you’re going to want to double or triple the hot red pepper flakes.
But I think the number one reason that I love this recipe it that it is SO EASY to make. You only need to marinate the chicken for 15 minutes, which makes it totally do-able for a week night. You grill it, so there are far fewer dishes.
So…yummy, easy, no dishes. Sold?
Tips & equipment for the perfect miso sesame grilled chicken kebabs
- these days we prefer metal skewers (these ones are similar to ours and have great reviews on amazon!)
- look for white miso paste in the international foods aisle of your grocery store or pick some up on Amazon
- looking for more grilled recipes? Check out my favorite Perfect Grilled Chicken Breast, this Balsamic Grilled Zucchini and these Unbelievably Crispy Grilled Potatoes
Miso & Sesame Grilled Chicken Kebabs
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons miso paste white type
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Cut the chicken thighs into 1 inch cubes. Combine the remaining ingredients in a shallow bowl. Toss with the chicken. Marinate for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Preheat BBQ to medium. Remove the chicken from the marinade and thread onto bamboo skewers. Grill for 10 minutes, rotate and grill for another 10 minutes or until cooked through. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve immediately.