This virgin watermelon sangria is easy to prepare and a delicious way to enjoy summer's fresh watermelon! Just four simple ingredients required.
Is it just me, or does it seem we've suddenly turned a corner into summer? I know the US has been having heat waves, but up here in Canada, we were suffering through record rainfall (and floods!), and that rainfall was not accompanied by any sort of heat. At all.
However this week has been so beautiful and warm!
With the arrival of summer comes certain expectations. Ie: burgers...margaritas...ice cream (of which I have already enjoyed copious amounts)...and, of course, the summer fruit, watermelon.
It's just not summer without watermelon.
Reasons you'll ♡ this watermelon sangria
- you can make it alcohol-free or with alochol
- it requires just four simple ingredients
- it's the perfect balance of sweet, tangy and bubbly
Last summer I made a highly enjoyable watermelon gin fizz. This summer, since I am expecting, I am going a slightly different route...of the non-alcoholic variety.
But don't worry, alcohol lovers, this recipe is easily adaptable. Just sub out the sparkling grape juice for some nice, cold prosecco or sparkling white wine.
This sangria is great, for so many reasons!
Most importantly, it tastes great...watermelon, mint and lime. You can't go wrong with that combination. In fact, mint and lime are pretty compatible with a lot of fruits out there.
This drink takes 3o minutes to make. And the only reason it takes that long is because you need to freeze the watermelon cubes (this is necessary to prevent the watermelon from disintegrating in your drink, and in my case, room temperature watermelon bringing up the temperature of my cold sparkling grape juice). So for the 30 minutes it takes to make this drink, 20 of these minutes are spent twiddling your thumbs, waiting. Or you could do something useful, like clean the dishes. Or...you know...look at stuff on pinterest 😉
This drink would be great for a BBQ or a picnic. For a kids version, you might want to go with a slightly sweeter sparkling juice...maybe apple juice? This sparkling grape juice still had a similar flavor to wine, which was great because I haven't had a glass of wine in 7 long months!
Now that I've had my watermelon fix, I feel like summer really is officially here. I can't wait to try to fit watermelon into all sorts of dishes. We've already enjoyed watermelon, feta and mint salad (forgive the old photos lol), but there are way more recipes out there to try!!
Tips and equipment for virgin watermelon sangria
- you'll need to freeze the watermelon; I love using these sheet pans
- you'll also need a pitcher; this one is highly rated on amazon!
- Looking for more easy cocktail recipes? Check out this Cranberry Ginger Fizz, this Raspberry Rosewater Gin Rickey, or this Apple, Pear & Pomegranate Sangria
Did you make this? Tag me on social @sweetpeasandsaffron and be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
Virgin Watermelon Sangria
- 3 cups watermelon cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 lime sliced
- ⅓ cup mint leaves torn
- 750 ml sparkling grape juice chilled
- After cubing the watermelon, arrange on a sheet pan and place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Combine lime and mint in the bottom of a pitcher and muddle with a long spoon. Add the chilled watermelon and pour sparkling grape juice over.
- Serve immediately.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Comment