This wintery apple, pear and pomegranate sangria is absolutely perfect for your holiday celebration! Easy to prepare, and packed with apples, pears, pomegranates, and spiced with nutmeg and cloves. Makes a big batch!
I have a confession...I am a picky eater! My random assortment of dislikes includes the following: mustard, raisins, gold tequila (I have my reasons), egg nog (it has raw eggs in it), bananas, grapefruit and oranges.
My dislike of oranges is particularly strong, and I'm not even sure how it started! All I know is that if someone starts peeling an orange around me, I have to leave. I don't want oranges in my house...not even orange juice! I can't stand the smell of it, the look of it, any of it! I am completely and irrationally an anti-orange person.
For this reason, I have traditionally avoided sangria. Until now.
Reasons you'll ♡ this apple, pear & pomegranate sangria
- it makes a big batch and is perfect for a holiday party
- it's easy to prepare
- it's pretty and tastes delicious as well!
This sangria combines beautiful wintery fruit (Apples, Pears, Pomegranate seeds) with nutmeg and cloves. Most importantly, there are NO ORANGES!
The fruit and spices are soaked in white wine for 24 hours. The wine takes on mild fruity flavors...surprisingly the pear flavors were more intense than the apple. The nutmeg and pear combo is divine! I'm taking note of that one. The fruity-nutmeggy wine is then combined with sparkly, bubbly champagne.
This sangria would make a perfect New Years party drink. It is sophisticated (although putting pretty much anything in a champagne flute makes it look pretty sophisticated to me), it is pretty, and best of all, it tastes really, really good. Watch out, though, it might not last until midnight!
Tips & equipment for apple, pear & pomegranate sangria
- combine everything in a large pitcher...this one is highly rated on amazon!
- if you can't find pomegranates, fresh cranberries give this sangria a pretty pop of color
- looking for more cocktail recipes? Check out this Cranberry Ginger Fizz, this Raspberry Rosewater Gin Rickey, or this Virgin Watermelon Sangria
Did you make this? Tag me on social @sweetpeasandsaffron and be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
Apple, Pear and Pomegranate Sangria
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- 1 apple peeled, cored, and sliced very thin
- 1 pear peeled, cored, and sliced very thin
- 20 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg fresh makes ALL the difference here!
- 1 bottle champagne prosecco or sparkling white wine (chilled)
- 1 handful pomegranate seeds
- Combine pears, apples, cloves and nutmeg in a large pitcher. cover with white wine. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Fill a champagne flute half way with the fruit/wine mixture. Top with champagne and several pomegranate seeds.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Comment