Creamy chocolate dessert hummus is a protein-packed dessert or snack that is perfect for dunking fruit and pretzels, or just plain eating by the spoonful! Vegan, gluten-free, clean eating.
I know you’re dubious…dessert hummus? I know. I was doubtful as well.
But it turns out chickpeas are a pretty blank canvas that make a great savory OR sweet recipe base!
Swapping out a few ingredients takes hummus from savory to slightly sweet, rich and chocolatey and so creamy…perfect for dunking your favorite fruit, pretzels, or just plain eating by the spoonful. I promise I won’t tell 😉
This chocolate dessert hummus is also a great sweeter meal prep snack option, as it has a bit of protein to keep you feeling full…and a much healthier option than something from the vending machine!
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Psst! Don’t forget to check out these 7 Amazing Hummus Flavors!
How to make dessert hummus
- chickpeas as the base
- peanut butter to give it the creamy factor
- maple syrup to sweeten slightly…feel free to up it if you’d like a sweeter dessert hummus!
- cocoa powder, espresso powder, cinnamon and vanilla extract to give it a rich, chocolatey flavor
- almond or dairy milk to thin everything out. I used 1/3 cup but you can add more or less depending on how you’d like it.
- chocolate chips sprinkled on top or stirred in– for an extra dose of chocolate!
First we blend up everything except for the chickpeas, until smooth and bubbly (above photo). Next, we add in the chickpeas and blend till we’re happy! I blended 2-3 minutes total time to get it as smooth as you see in the picture below.
What does chocolate dessert hummus taste like? Some people think it tastes similar to brownie batter, but I think it’s more airy, kind of similar to a chocolate mousse. Either way, it’s smooth and chocolatey and not overly sweet. You can definitely adjust the sweetener to taste.
What do you serve with dessert hummus? I loved dunking strawberries and apple slices into this dessert hummus. You could also try other fruit like kiwi and banana slices, pretzels, or even vanilla wafers. I bet it would be great served on toast, or spread on rice cakes, too! Think of all the ways you would use Nutella and this dessert hummus can fill those shoes, too.
Is dessert hummus healthy? Dessert hummus is slightly higher in calories than a savory hummus because of the sweetener. However these are all clean eating ingredients and natural sweeteners, and if you are enjoying it in moderation, I consider it to be a healthier snack option. Definitely healthier than a cream cheese dip, a cookie or a brownie, plus the protein from the chickpeas will help you feel full and satisfied.
Looking for more hummus recipes?
- The BEST Easy Homemade Hummus
- 5 Minute Black Bean Hummus
- Roasted Garlic White Bean Hummus
- Red Pepper Harissa Dip
- Masala Spiced Lentil Hummus
- Smoky Sweet Potato Hummus
Creamy Chocolate Dessert Hummus
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 1/3 cup almond milk or dairy milk (or more as needed)
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- pinch salt
- 19 oz can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- In the base of a 7 cup food processor fitted with a steel blade, combine all ingredients except for the chickpeas.
- Blend for 1 minute, scraping down the sides of the food processor half way through, until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Add the chickpeas and process for 2-3 more minutes, scraping sides down a and adding more milk as needed.
- Serve with fresh fruit, cookies, rice cakes, toast, or pretzels.