Creamy avocado hummus is kind of like a cross between guacamole and hummus! Perfect served with chips, crackers or veggies. Vegan, gluten-free, and clean eating.
Say hello to my little friend…avocado hummus!
It’s green, it’s creamy, it’s sooooo smooth. It’s perfect for dunking crackers, tortilla chips and veggies.
There has been a lot of hummus around here, and this avocado hummus recipe might just be my fave!
This avocado hummus is:
- vegan, gluten-free and clean eating
- creamy and oh-so-dreamy
- kinda sorta like guacamole, except also kinda like hummus
Don’t forget to pin this post to save it for later!
How to make avocado hummus
I’ve found that the trick to making super smooth hummus with canned chickpeas is a two step approach:
- Blend up everything except for the chickpeas for 1-2 minutes- for this avocado hummus recipe, that means the avocado, garlic, tahini, lime juice, spices, and some of the liquid from the can of chickpeas.
- Add in the chickpeas last and blend again- 2-3 more minutes, scraping down the sides of the food processor as needed.
Voila! The creamiest hummus you ever did see.
Can I make this avocado hummus in my blender? I do not have the greatest blender, so it doesn’t work in mine. However I have seen people use a high powered blender such as a Vitamix to make hummus, so it may be possible.
How long does this avocado hummus last? Unfortunately, even with the lime juice, this hummus will start to turn brown on day 2, or if you try to freeze it. The flavor changes subtly too, so I recommend making this hummus right before you will serve it.
What goes well with avocado hummus? Like other hummus recipes, I like serving this avocado hummus recipe with chips, crackers, and veggies. Veggies I love with my hummus: carrot sticks, celery sticks, bell pepper slices, cucumber slices, cauliflower, broccoli, snap peas and so many more!
Looking for more hummus recipes?
- The BEST Easy Homemade Hummus
- Creamy Chocolate Dessert Hummus
- 5 Minute Black Bean Hummus
- Roasted Garlic White Bean Hummus
- Red Pepper Harissa Dip
- Masala Spiced Lentil Hummus
- Smoky Sweet Potato Hummus
Tips for the best avocado hummus
- This is my favorite food processor
- I do not recommend this recipe as a make ahead recipe as the avocado turns slightly brown on day 2
- I have only tested this recipe with canned chickpeas so if you have home cooked chickpeas, you may need to add extra liquid
Creamy avocado hummus is kind of like a cross between guacamole and hummus! So easy to make, and perfect served with chips, crackers or veggies.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 19 oz can of chickpeas (drained, but reserve liquid)
In the base of a 7 cup food processor fitted with a steel blade, combine all ingredients listed, except for the chickpeas. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from the can of chickpeas.
Process for 1-2 minutes, until smooth and creamy. You may need to scrape down the inside of the food processor once or twice.
Add the chickpeas, and process for 2-3 minutes on high, until smooth. Add in more liquid from the can of chickpeas as needed (2-4 more tablespoons).
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with red pepper flakes to serve.
Store in a sealed container the fridge for 2 days. After 2 days, this hummus loses its color and turns slightly brown. If this doesn't bother you, then it's good in the fridge for up to a week.