This creamy vegan Caribbean sweet potato soup is a little bit sweet and a little bit spicy, and full of Caribbean flavors: allspice, thyme, ginger and jalapeño! Perfect for lunch on a cold day.
Clearly I am having a mid-winter crisis because here I am again with a recipe inspired by tropical Caribbean flavors!
Why yes, I would LOVE to be whisked away from the snow to some tropical island where we’d all feast on Jamaican Shrimp Quesadillas, and most definitely a Spicy Mango Margarita. One can always dream, right?
Well I don’t actually have one of those ‘passport things’ at the moment (renewing it as we speak!), so I will do the next best thing: bring the Caribbean to us all, in the form of this Caribbean sweet potato soup!
This soup started out completely different. In fact, there was no sweet potato in it! It was going to be a black bean & butternut squash Caribbean soup. But even though all of the flavors were there, it wasn’t quite right.
It needed some extra sweetness, and more spices. I decided to ditch the butternut squash in favor of the sweet potato. Then I decided to ditch the black beans as well and get my immersion blender out!
I guess I’m a hopeless creamy soup addict. I just can’t seem to help myself!
I absolutely love how this Caribbean sweet potato soup came out! It is SO creamy from the pureed sweet potato and coconut milk.
It gets some spiciness from a jalapeño pepper. Make sure you taste your soup after pureeing it and decide if you need an extra jalapeño…my second batch had a not-so-spicy jalapeño, and it just wasn’t the same soup without that kick.
This soup gets a ton of flavor from some Caribbean spices: allspice, thyme, ginger, nutmeg, some curry powder.
Altogether you get a really nice sweet/spicy/creamy soup that is absolutely perfect for a cold winter’s day.
Now I had better get back to renewing my passport, because I would really like to see some palm trees in my future!
- Looking for more soup recipes? Try this Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup, this Butternut Squash Soup Recipe or this Healthier Beef Barley Soup
Caribbean Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño diced (see note)
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 celery rib chopped
- 4 cups sweet potato chopped into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2-3 cups stock enough to *barely* cover the veggies
- 400 mL 13.5 oz can of coconut milk
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 or so minutes, until cooked through and translucent.
- While onion is cooking, combine all the spices in a small bowl (makes them easier to add!).
- Add the ginger, garlic and spices to the pot and cook for a minute, until nice and fragrant.
- Add the celery, sweet potato and stock (just enough to *barely* cover the veggies).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 or so minutes, until sweet potato is cooked through.
- Stir in the coconut milk, then puree with an immersion blender.
- Taste for spice and salt and add more as needed (you could kick it up with some cayenne if it's not spicy enough for you).
Products used in this recipe:
More Caribbean recipe inspiration!
- Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Slaw from Whole and Heavenly Oven
- Caribbean Black Bean Soup from Immaculate Bites
- Caribbean Chicken Tacos from Creme de la Crumb