This one pot black bean fajita pasta can be assembled ahead of time and frozen! When you’re ready to serve, just dump everything in a pot and cook it up.
Oh my gawwwsh. You guys, I’ve been at this food blogging thing for quite awhile now…since 2012.
I’ve had my share of flops. But last week I had FOUR flops of the same recipe. So I had hoped to share my Slow Cooker Moroccan Lentils with you today, but sorry. It ain’t gonna happen.
Luckily I had this one pot black bean fajita pasta on the list, and the recipe is basically the same as the one in my 30 Minute Dinners eCookbook, with the exception that this one is made ahead of time!
I’ve been thinking hard about how to create more make ahead meal prep dinner recipes for the blog. I shared my very first one, these Make Ahead Butternut Squash Chickpea Fajitas a few weeks ago.
And now I’m back with fajita-ey flavors today!
This one pot black bean fajita pasta can be assembled (in part) ahead of time, and even frozen. Then when dinner time rolls around, dump your ingredients into the pot, stir in some stock and dry pasta, and get it cooking. Everything cooks up all in one pot.
How simple is that?!
For storage, I recommend you use a heavy duty freezer bag (gallon size) if you’re freezing it, as storage containers can take up valuable space. If you have a large enough storage container (8 cups) and space in your freezer you could definitely go this route if you are storing short-term.
You can also stow it in the fridge. I wouldn’t assemble it more than 3 days ahead of time as the beans can spoil.
This recipe makes a bigger batch than my normal recipes– 6 portions! This means (unless you have a house full of teenage boys) you most likely will have some leftovers, and luckily this one pot black bean fajita pasta makes an awesome work lunch!
PS- It’s 30 Minute Thursday!
Check out these delicious 30 Minute Dinners from my favorite bloggers:
More one pot wonders for us:
- this One Pot Healthy Cajun Chicken Orzo was pretty popular in the fall
- and this One Pot White Bean Pasta with Leeks and Asparagus is a great vegetarian option
- or check out this round-up of 19 Healthy One Pot Pasta Recipes for a ton of inspiration!
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- 19 oz /540 mL can of diced tomatoes (plus juices)
- 19 oz /540 mL can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (or one 7 oz can) corn kernels
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups (6.5 oz) small pasta shapes
- Juice of ½ a lime (1 tablespoon)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Combined all 'assemble ahead' ingredients in a large glass container (for storage in the fridge for up to 3 days) or in a heavy duty ziplock bag (for storage in the freezer for up to one month).
- In a medium pot, combine all ingredients including pasta and stock. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice and mozzarella cheese, until evenly distributed and melted.
- (Optional) Serve with lime wedges and cilantro.
- Thaw completely and cook as indicated above. Remove the lid for the last 5 minutes to allow the sauce to reduce.
Calories 305 // Fat 5 g // Saturated Fat 2 g // Cholesterol 10 mg // Sodium 1043 mg // Carbohydrate 49 g // Fiber 8 g // Sugars 6 g // Protein 18 g
Black beans can be replaced by two large chicken breasts cut into bite-sized cubes.