Make a batch of these spiced pumpkin steel cut oats on the weekend and you’ll have a whole bunch of EASY weekday breakfasts ready to go!
I’m head over heels and I want to share it with you…crazy in love with steel cut oats, that is. Isn’t that a totally normal thing to be in love with?
I was 1000% confident that I was a ‘non-oatmeal’ person, that oatmeal was a mushy, sticky bowl of gross that I didn’t want to touch. And ‘how could people eat that’?!
But after finally deciding to try steel cut oats (which resulted in these Maple Apple Steel Cut Oats) I’ve done a complete 180 and decided that maybe I am an oatmeal person after all. And that oatmeal is not, in fact, a bowl of gross. At least not in the case of steel cut oats.
Steel cut oats are a bowl of yum. They are easy, freezer-friendly, kid-friendly, healthy, and seriously tasty. And NOT mushy!!
Today I’m sharing my new favorite steel cut oats recipe with you: spiced pumpkin steel cut oats!
These spiced pumpkin steel cut oats are a spin-off of my maple apple steel cut oats. I swapped the applesauce for some pumpkin puree, grated the apple (finely!), added some cloves, nutmeg and pepitas.
Just as easy, and just as tasty! I love that not only am I getting a healthy filling of oats to keep me full, but I’m also getting a substantial serving of fruit, too.
More breakfast prep challenge are on the way!
We’re gearing up for a second breakfast prep challenge, and this time it’s going to be bigger, better and with even more delicious recipes! We are committing to spending one hour on the weekends prepping our breakfasts for the week.
Sign up below to get free shopping lists, recipes, tips and tricks. And access to our Facebook group where we share pictures of our breakfast prep and keep each other motivated!
More make ahead breakfasts for us!
- check out this round up of 28 Healthy Breakfast Meal Prep Ideas for a TON of ideas
- see my method for making my smoothies ahead here
- and check out these EASY Quinoa Egg Breakfast Muffins
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 apple, peeled and grated with the fine part of a box grater
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or more to sweeten)
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds/pepitas (optional)
- In a medium pot, combine the steel cut oats, water, pumpkin puree, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla extract and grated apple.
- Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring frequently, for 25-30 minutes, until cooked through.
- Stir in the maple syrup, allow to cool, and portion out into containers. Top with pepitas.
- Heat in 30 second increments in the microwave until heated through. Add additional syrup to taste.