This bright and flavorful Thai chicken quinoa salad is perfect for a weeknight dinner! Quinoa, crunchy vegetables and chicken breast are drizzled in a creamy peanut dressing.
This week has definitely been a worldly week here on the blog, hasn’t it?
Maybe my international inspirations have something to do with the fact that I am craving a holiday? Well, instead of actually going on a holiday, I am bringing the holidays to us on a plate 😉
And somehow, I ended up with only two photos of this salad, but two is enough for me. I am totally in love with the bright, happy colors. They scream TROPICAL!! to me!
What you see is what you get with this salad: quinoa, topped with baked chicken breast, crunchy vegetables and drizzled in a creamy peanut dressing. Totally simple, but simple sure is tasty!!
If you are feeling daring, add some Thai chiles in there! I will admit that I left the seeds in because I thought they looked nice in the photos, but then predictably, forgot to take out the chiles and ended up with a mouth of HOT Thai chile. Kai was wondering why his mom was yelling, then breathing heavily with her tongue hanging out. He honestly looked very concerned for me 😉
This salad would make for a great supper, or even a make-ahead work lunch (leave out the cilantro). It held up OK in the dressing for a few days. It is light but filling (does that make sense?), and full of flavor.
Have an awesome week-end! I’ll be back on Tuesday, and I’m bringing dessert!!!
Thai Chicken Quinoa Salad with Peanut Dressing: a healthy, gluten-free 30 minute dinner recipe that tosses crunchy veggies, chicken breast and quinoa in a creamy peanut dressing
- 2/3 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2-4 tablespoons of water, (or more as needed)
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup radish, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- thai chiles (optional, to taste)
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F. Place the chicken in a baking dish, and drizzle with the soy sauce and olive oil (make sure they are completely coated). Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip, then bake for another 10-15 minutes, until juices are no longer pink. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- While chicken and quinoa are cooking, shake together all peanut dressing ingredients and prepare all the vegetables for the salad.
- Toss everything in the peanut dressing and serve.
Calories 556 // Fat 19 g // Saturated Fat 3 g // Cholesterol 73 mg // Sodium 510 mg // Carbohydrate 58 g // Fiber 7 g // Sugars 8 g // Protein 40 g
This salad keeps in a sealed container for 2-3 days.
|Serving Size||1 meal sized salad|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 556 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 19 g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 3 g||15%|
|Cholesterol 73 mg||24%|
|Sodium 510 mg||21%|
|Carbohydrate 58 g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 7 g||28%|
|Sugars 8 g|
|Protein 40 g|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|