These Spiced Chickpea Naan Nachos are a delicious Indian-flavored twist on nachos! The ‘naan-chos’ are loaded with cumin-spiced chickpeas, tomatoes, shredded carrots, and topped with mozzarella cheese and cilantro.
OK, I hear your footsteps as you run away from me.
Wait! Come back! Naan nachos…or naanchos. They’re good!!!
I know…shredded carrots, chickpeas, tomatoes…and cheese. It’s really, really good, I promise you!
So good that we may have enjoyed these for lunch. Two days in a row. What? Chickpeas are healthy, right?
It was my birthday last Monday, and as a gift to myself, I upgraded to an iPhone 6…yay! My iPhone 5 was great, and WELL used, but the power and home buttons weren’t working anymore, and my apps account didn’t recognize my new e-mail address, so none of my apps had been updated in like 6 months. It was time.
Getting a new phone and starting over from scratch…no photos, no music, no apps, just a wonderful blank canvas…it feels kind of therapeutic! I have some new apps (anyone out there use Evernote? How about Spotify?), and some finally updated apps. Anyone have any can’t-live-without-them apps? I’m looking for some great new ones!
I have a little running list of recipe ideas in my ‘notes’ on my phone (I transferred it over to the new one), and naanchos have been on there for awhile. Every week when I’m looking for recipe inspiration, I go to my notes, and there was the word: naancho. And every week I pass it by for something that sounded a little more normal.
Finally, last week, naancho stared me down and dared me to make them. I didn’t know if I’d be able to pull them off. I think I was stuck on this cheese/carrot/chickpea/nacho thing. It just sounded weird to me.
But I guess there’s no way to know until you try, and I am so, so glad I did!
These naan nachos are super easy to prepare…they take about 20 minutes or so, making them perfect for a snack or lunch.
We served ours with a big old dollop of greek yogurt, although sour cream would work great too! Fresh chives and cilantro are a must, too. They add a fresh herby kind of flavor to the mix.
I think you need to go and make these Spiced Chickpea Naan Nachos. Just to convince yourselves that carrots, chickpeas and cheese are actually a very delicious thing 😉
You may also like:
Spiced Chickpea Naan Nachos
These Spiced Chickpea Naan Nachos are a delicious Indian-flavored twist on nachos! The 'naan-chos' are loaded with cumin-spiced chickpeas, tomatoes, shredded carrots, and topped with mozzarella cheese and cilantro.
- 3 peices of naan bread, sliced into wedges (8 per naan bread)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- ground cumin
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- a few grinds of pepper
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded cheese, monterey jack or mozzarella
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and arrange the naan wedges on them.
- Brush naan wedges with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and ground cumin.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chickpeas and olive oil. Using a fork, mash the chickpeas, until about ⅔ of them are mashed. Sprinkle with the ground cumin, ground coriander, and salt. Add a few grinds of pepper. Mix until uniformly coated.
- Prepare all of the toppings and set aside.
- Place the baking sheets in the oven, and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, then push all of the naan wedges together on one baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with half of the tomatoes and ¼ of the cheese, then place wedges from the second baking sheet on top, forming a pile. Sprinkle with remaining tomatoes, chickpeas, carrots, and cheese.
- Return to the oven for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melted through.
- Top with Greek yogurt, green onions and cilantro.
- Serve immediately