This slow cooker Spanish chicken stew will warm you right up and is packed full of fresh vegetables!
It’s that time of year again…time for sweaters, pumpkin spice everything, that chill in the air, and the most beautiful colors Mother Nature has to offer are on full display.
And the soup cravings kick in.
I am a soup-a-holic! I especially crave the pureed creamy soups (this Thai Curry Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup is one of my favorites!), but I also have a soft spot for any soup that is worthy of bread dunking.
My all-time most popular recipe is this Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Stew…it has been shared nearly 600,000 times (say what?!), and has gotten great reviews. So I decided to put a fun twist with this slow cooker Spanish chicken stew. And just like the original, it fills half your plate with veggies!
Today’s post is brought to you by my friends over at Half Your Plate. They have a very important mission: to help us fill half our plates with fruit and veggies!
I know I am always trying to sneak in extra veggies wherever I can…well Half Your Plate has a whole website full of recipes, tips, tricks and information to help us!
And today’s slow cooker Spanish chicken stew fills half your plate with veggies…or more! I mean, it’s really packed full of veggies as you can tell 🙂
I adapted the Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Stew recipe by adding in some Spanish flair: roasted red peppers, smoked paprika, saffron (just a pinch!) and peas.
It has that same healthy but comforting feel, with a totally different flavor! It’s a tiny bit smoky, with a slight saffron after-taste. How do you describe the flavor of saffron?! It’s very subtle to me, more like an aftertaste. If you don’t want to buy saffron ($$$!) just leave it out…it’s still good without.
Like the Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Stew, you are definitely going to want a big hunk of bread to soak up every last drop of deliciousness from this slow cooker Spanish chicken stew!
Happy start of October everyone! What is on your fall bucket list?
Disclosure: thank you to Half Your Plate for sponsoring this post. As always, all opinions are my own.
More slow cooker chicken recipes for you!
- this Slow Cooker Ethiopian Chicken & Lentil Stew is an absolute flavor-bomb
- or this Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Stew, which is inspired by tortilla soup
- or these Southwestern Crockpot Chicken Thighs which are ridiculously easy to whip up!
Slow Cooker Spanish Chicken Stew
- 1 lb baby potatoes, halved (roughly 3.5 cups)
- 8 small chicken thighs (600g/1.3 lbs)
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 300 mL jar of roasted red peppers, drained and rinsed, cut into small pieces (about 1.5 cups)
- 1/2 a red onion, diced
- 19 oz can of diced tomatoes (including liquids), or sub 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- a pinch of saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In the base of a slow cooker combine all ingredients except the balsamic vinegar and peas.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar and peas, cover and cook for 5 minutes before serving.
Calories 243 // Fat 4 g // Saturated Fat 0 g // Cholesterol 80 mg // Sodium 693 mg // Carbohydrate 26 g // Dietary Fiber 4 g // Sugars 6 g // Protein 26 g
I used a 5 qt slow cooker.
Recipe may be halved and cooked with same cook times in a 2.5 qt slow cooker.