This delicious slow cooker sweet potato chickpea chili has smoky chipotle and a squeeze of lime, and is vegan! It cooks for 8-10 hours, meaning you can make this for a weeknight dinner.
Update: this recipe was updated on 28/12/2016 to address spiciness and add Instant Pot instructions!
Yeeeeeeeah. I’m pretty darn excited about that, can you tell? We had a four-day work week here in Canada, yet for some reason, those short weeks feel oh-so long!
What happened this week? I can’t remember. All I can really remember is being completely traumatized from watching the Walking Dead. I am very, verrry late on the bandwagon, and actually, I want off the bandwagon, please! I am way too much of a scaredy pants to watch that show. Every night Ben pleads with me to watch one more, and I am so morbidly curious to find out what happens I eventually give in. And then get so scared I am hiding my eyes and at the end of the episode I SWEAR I’m not going to watch another one.
So right…what happened this week? Other than Walking Dead making me extra fearful of the basement/under my bed/backseat of my car, this slow cooker sweet potato chickpea chili happened!
My slow cooker has been working overtime ever since I got all inspired about actually using it on weekdays. AKA: weeding through all the 4 hour crockpot recipes for ones which can actually cook for 8-10 hours…because in real life, you also have to get to and from work.
So here we are again, with a slow cooker recipe. A vegetarian recipe, actually vegan if you don’t garnish with sour cream. And gluten-free! I’m on a (totally accidental) roll, here!
This slow cooker sweet potato chickpea chili is packed with healthy and flavorful ingredients: chickpeas, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, and chipotle peppers, which simmer together for hours upon hours to give the a super-flavorful chili. It is finished off with a squeeze of lime, which balances the chipotle flavors perfectly!
We enjoyed ours with a dollop of yogurt (sour cream if you’d prefer), a sprinkling of cilantro, and some sliced avocado. A bowl of nachos for scooping is not a bad idea 😉
This is another recipe I recommend assembling the night before, then putting in the slow cooker just before you leave for the day. It does take a little bit of prep work, but nothing is difficult. And other than prepping your garnishes, you have nothing to do when you get home.
Except to eat it. Obviously 😛
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chickpea Chili
An easy and delicious 8-10 hour slow cooker chilli packed with chickpeas and sweet potato, and flavored with chipotle and lime. Ready when you walk in the door from work!
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 13.5 oz can of tomato sauce (400mL)
- 4 tablespoons adobo sauce (for less spicy version) + 1 chopped chipotle pepper (for spicy)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup stock
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1.5-2 inch cubes (roughly 5 cups/700g)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 19 oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice of half a lime
To Serve (Optional)
- Cilantro leaves
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Tortilla chips
- Add all ingredients to the base of a 5 quart slow cooker. Mix with a spatula until completely combined.
- At this point, the slow cooker insert may be refrigerated overnight, until ready to cook.
- Cook on lowest setting for 8-10 hours.
- Before serving, *gently* stir in the lime juice.
- Serve with avocado, cilantro, yogurt/sour cream, and tortilla chips.
- *You need to half the recipe for the Instant Pot, as it fills above the ⅔ full limit. Or make a full batch and freeze half the uncooked recipe for later*
- Toss all ingredients (of a half batch) into the Instant Pot, and stir until completely combined.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, followed by a natural release (I unplugged my IP and let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then released remaining pressure).
Products used in this recipe:
More vegetarian chili ideas:
- Easy Vegetarian Chili from The Endless Meal
- Easy Black Bean & Chickpea Chili from Love & Lemons
- Three Bean Loaded Veggie Chili from She Likes Food