Honey garlic shredded beef sandwiches can be made ahead in the slow cooker. Topped with cucumber, carrots, cilantro and sriracha mayo, they are full of flavor and easy to assemble for a weeknight dinner.
One of my favorite ways to use the slow cooker for meal prep is to cook a big batch of protein and enjoy through the week. From crock pot pulled pork to slow cooker whole chicken, it's efficient, and can save you money on ingredients, as well!
These shredded beef sandwiches are part of a meal prep plan where I cook a big batch of slow cooker honey garlic beef, and use it up in three meals through the week.
Putting together these sandwiches is as simple as reheating the beef and shredding a few vegetables, and you are rewarded with incredible flavor!
Reasons you'll ♡ honey garlic shredded beef sandwiches
- they are full of flavor with fresh vegetables, sriracha mayo, and juicy honey garlic beef
- you can prep components ahead, making this a ten minute dinner
- they are kid-friendly and enjoyed by all
Wondering exactly how to these sandwiches come together? Watch this 1-minute video for step by step instructions! You can find more recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Ingredients you'll need
- slow cooker honey garlic beef- I recommend cooking it a few days ahead or start it first thing in the morning. You can also cook it in the Instant Pot!
- sriracha mayo- I am loving Sir Kensington's brand, but you can make your own by stirring some sriracha into classic mayonnaise
- burger buns- splurge for the gourmet buns, it's worth it!
- vegetables- cucumbers, peeled into thin strips, and carrots, shredded
- cilantro- adds a kind of 'banh mi' feel to this sandwich, it adds a fresh, herbaceous flavor that is perfect to contrast the heavy beef
Cook the honey garlic beef ahead
The slow cooker honey garlic beef requires a full 8 hours in the slow cooker, so you'll want to either start it early in the day, or cook it a few days ahead. Once cooked, the beef can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge for 4 days, or in the freezer for 3 months.
To reheat the beef, add it to a nonstick pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring and flipping with tongs, for around 5 minutes, until beef is loosened up and warmed through.
Toast your buns
You'd be amazed at what a difference toasting your buns can make for the flavor and texture of your burgers and sandwiches! To toast, we add 1-2 tablespoons of butter to a frying pan, melt it, then add the buns. Toast for 3-5 minutes, until golden brown.
Since this is a banh mi-inspired recipe, we are adding shredded carrots and thinly sliced cucumber to our beef sandwiches. To slice the cucumber, you can use a vegetable peeler to make thin strips.
Of course, feel free to mix up the veggies on these sandwiches; a bagged slaw could be a great alternative and will save you some time in the kitchen!
You can make your own, or purchase sriracha mayonnaise in the store. To make your own, stir together 1 tablespoon of sriracha with ½ cup mayonnaise.
Since sriracha mayo is spicy, we used regular mayonnaise for the kids, and they loved it!
Meal Prep + Storage Tips
After assembling, this sandwich must be served immediately. With that being said, you can prep components of this meal ahead of time for meal prep:
- carrots- shred up to 1 week ahead and store in the fridge
- beef- cook up to 4 days ahead and store in the fridge, or 3 months ahead stored in the freezer
Meal Prep Plan
Find the full meal prep plan + shopping list here, and use any extra honey garlic beef in:
More slow cooker meals
- Slow Cooker Honey Lime Shredded Chicken
- 7 No Sautee Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Smoky Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- Slow Cooker Korean Beef Lettuce Wraps
- Honey Lime Shredded Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 cups Honey Garlic Shredded Beef see note 1
- ½ cup sriracha mayo see note 2
- 1 carrot shredded
- ½ cucumber thinly sliced (see note 3)
- ½ cup cilantro leaves loosely packed
- 4 burger buns gourmet
- Place 2 cups of honey garlic beef into a frying pan, and cook, stirring and flipping the beef up with tongs, for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Toast buns by melting 1-2 tablespoons of butter in a pan, then placing buns in the pan and cooking for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of mayo on a bun, top with warmed beef, shredded carrot, cucumber and cilantro.
- store in the fridge for 4 days
- store in the freezer for 3 months
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.