These flourless coconut black bean brownies are only 140 calories each, and are packed with protein!
When it comes to embracing food fads, I am definitely slow.
I see veggie noodles, or mason jar salads, or one pot pastas, and think “what a gimmick!” But eventually curiosity gets the best of me, I cave and try them, and my mind changes completely about them. There is pretty much always a reason for their popularity 😉
And here I am…yet again…proving to myself that yet another food fad, black bean brownies, absolutely live up to the hype!
For a new and improved (and refined sugar free) version, check out these Fudgy Black Bean Brownies!
After seeing black bean brownies all around the internet, I finally decided to see what’s up.
And what’s up is a brownie. That doesn’t taste at all like black beans. Has only 190 calories. And packs some protein so you’re not hungry 2 minutes later.
Well, that’s my version of the black bean brownies at least! I tried a few versions, one with no refined sugar (I could totally taste the beans in those ones).
Then I tried this one from AllRecipes, and it pretty much rocked. I ended up increasing the cocoa powder and vanilla extract a touch, and added coconut to mine. And I made mine in muffin pans so that you have little brownie muffins that freeze really well.
While the brownies bake up, the coconut on top gets nice and toasty, making your house smell amazing!
You can eat these coconut black bean brownies warm, but I like to let them cool down a bit because they come out of the muffin papers the best that way. By the way: I tried baking these in silicone and parchment liners, and surprisingly, they worked much better in the parchment muffin liners.
So I guess I can check another fad off of my list. What should I try next? According to Bon Appetit, chlorophyll is trendy for 2016? Ummmm….NO. Thanks.
What’s your favorite food trend?
- looking for more meal prep snack ideas? Check out these Creamy Greek Yogurt Fruit Dips (3 Ways)
Black Bean Coconut Brownies (Gluten-Free)
- 1.5 cups black beans rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup of unsweetened coconut divided
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tray with parchment or silicone muffin papers.
- In the base of a 7-cup food processor fitted with a steel blade (or a high powered blender), combine the black beans, sugar, vanilla, ½ cup of coconut, eggs, espresso powder, cocoa powder and coconut oil.
- Blend until creamy and smooth (as pictured above).
- Transfer to a large glass measuring cup (the spout makes it easier to pour into the muffin papers).
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour or spoon the batter, dividing it amongst 12 muffins.
- Sprinkle the tops with the remaining coconut.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, until muffins are cooked through.
- Allow to cool before removing the muffin papers.
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes
Products used in this recipe:
More black bean brownie inspiration:
- Black Bean Brownies from Show Me The Yummy
- Fudgy Maple Flourless Black Bean Brownies from Eating Bird Food
- Supreme Black Bean Brownie Cups + Peanut Butter Swirl from The Simple Veganista