Make these Honey Sesame Chicken Lunch Bowls ahead of time and you’ll have FOUR work lunches ready and waiting!
For more stir fry sauce ideas, check out this post with SEVEN different stir fry sauces that you can make ahead and freeze!
Can I tell you a secret? I’m not an organized person.
I know you see all these meal prep breakfasts and make ahead lunch bowls and maybe some neatly stacked containers of chicken fajita lunch bowls and you think ‘wow, that Denise? She’s organized!’.
The truth? I’m so not organized. I mean, my bag is still not unpacked from travelling last week!
The recipes that you see on the blog are a product of my disorganization. This is me, trying to overcome my disorganization. And I hope you don’t mind: I’m bringing you along for the ride!
Can I tell you another secret? Today’s honey sesame chicken lunch bowls are actually just a stir fry, divided into four containers.
I’m pretty sure you figured that out already, but just so we’re on the same page (wink wink).
Guess what? These honey sesame chicken lunch bowls can be ready in under 30 minutes.
Just think about this: 30 minutes effort to ensure that you’ll have a healthy, filling lunch waiting for you for FOUR days. Doesn’t that sound awesome? It is.
Note: on day four, your broccoli is not going to smell like roses, but it still tastes delicious! Swap it for carrots, bell peppers or zucchini.
How it all goes down: cook your rice. Shake together your sauce. Cook your veggies. Then cook your chicken. Toss chicken in sauce and cook until it thickens slightly.
Portion out into four containers (I’m obsessed with these ones right now!)
Take a picture and post it on your social media. Let people assume that you have your life together. The end.
More meal prep work lunches for us!
- ¼ cup chicken stock or water
- ¼ cup soy sauce (I use reduced sodium)
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¾ cup uncooked rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 3 cups snap peas, cut into small pieces
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- salt & pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- sesame seeds (garnish)
- Shake together all honey sesame sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Cook rice according to package instructions. Divide between 4 storage containers.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add broccoli and snap peas. Cook for 5 or so minutes, until bright green and tender. Add to the rice in the storage containers.
- Add additional olive oil if necessary. Add the chicken to the pan. Season with salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes (if desired). Cook for 7 or so minutes, until cooked through.
- Add the sauce to the pan and simmer for 2 minutes, until thickened.
- Add the chicken to the lunch containers and drizzle with sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds if desired.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat to serve.
Calories 445 // Fat 11 g // Saturated Fat 2 g // Cholesterol 70 mg // Sodium 698 mg // Carbohydrate 56 g // Fiber 3 g // Sugars 20 g // Protein 33 g
* If you are looking for ways to lighten this recipe up, try halving the sauce or swap part of the rice for cauliflower rice
This recipe is mildly spicy. Feel free to reduce or leave out the red pepper flakes for a less/non-spicy version.