This Greek yogurt chicken recipe is packed with saffron, garlic and lemon flavors, and is only 85 calories/serving! The yogurt does double duty as a marinade and a sauce to drizzle over the cooked chicken.
Heyyyyy! How are you? Did you spoil your momma on Mother’s day?
I almost got spoiled…Ben attempted to make me breakfast in bed by bringing me some waffles (these waffles!). Unfortunately, Mr. Kai was hanging out in the bed with me, tried to grab the waffles off me, and then managed to spring a massive diaper leak all over the bed. So breakfast in bed was pretty rapidly evacuated. Gah.
But really, that’s pretty much how life is these days. I don’t get to do the fun stuff that I used to be able to do, but life is crazy and full of laughter, so that more than makes up for it!
Today I have some chicken for us! Greek yogurt chicken, to be exact. Mixed with saffron, lemon and garlic and baked to perfection!
I chose to name my blog Sweet Peas & Saffron waaaay back in 2012 because I was going through a saffron obsession. I haven’t used it all that much since then, because it is so expensive!
But for this recipe, all you need is a pinch. The saffron gives a nice subtle flavor to the chicken, and a beautiful yellow color.
This Greek yogurt chicken recipe is SO simple to throw together. First you’re going to stir together the Greek yogurt ingredients, then you’re going to set half of it aside to use as a sauce.
The chicken bakes up in the Greek yogurt sauce, and is so tender and juicy! To serve, spoon the reserved sauce over the Greek yogurt chicken. It’s great on veggies as well!
It’s also worth noting that this is great on the grill as well as baked in the oven.
Greek yogurt chicken with saffron and garlic. Definitely a winner!
- pinch of saffron threads
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 large chicken breasts
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a small measuring cup or bowl, stir together the lemon juice and saffron threads. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Combine the lemon zest, garlic, salt, pepper and yogurt in a medium bowl. Add the saffron/lemon juice and mix together.
- *Remove ¼ cup of the yogurt and save to serve over chicken.
- Add the chicken to the yogurt mixture and allow to sit for 5 or so minutes, while the oven heats.
- Place chicken in a shallow baking dish or lined baking sheet, discarding excess yogurt.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for 10-15 more minutes (15 minutes for large chicken breasts, 10 for smaller).
- Cut chicken breast in half and serve with reserved yogurt sauce.
Calories 85 // Total Fat 2 g // Saturated Fat 0 g // Cholesterol 36 mg // Sodium 48 mg // Carbohydrate 2 g // Fiber 0 g // Sugars 0 g // Protein 16 g
More yogurt chicken recipes for us:
- Greek Yogurt Parmesan Chicken from Slender Kitchen
- Mediterranean Grilled Chicken with Dill Greek Yogurt from The Mediterranean Dish
- Garlic Yogurt Baked Chicken from Diethood