A healthy vegetarian recipe for one pan gnocchi with sundried tomatoes, white beans, spinach and mushrooms! Ready in 30 minutes.
Aaaahhh! It’s October 1st! Is that crazy or what?!
October in my mind is crazy town…My brother’s wedding, Kai’s 2nd birthday, Ben’s-not-2nd- birthday (I’ll leave it at that 😉 ).
And October is thesis crunch time. Like it needs to start looking like a real thesis soon, not a random bunch of pieces here and there. (I apologize in advance for the thesis talk between now and December 14. I am stuck in my basement all day working on it, and I am going crazy…I’ve even progressed to the point of talking to myself!)
So basically I am going to need some easy recipes up my sleeve for October. And today I have one seriously easy recipe for us: one pan gnocchi!
Have you ever eaten pan-fried gnocchi? It is ALL SORTS of wonderful.
I first saw Nigella do it, and then had to try it for myself. Here’s the deal: packaged gnocchi, some olive oil, salt and pepper and a hot pan. Cook until golden. They get crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. So wonderful!
I took this idea and added a few ingredients to turn this one pan gnocchi into a full meal: white beans for some protein, spinach and mushrooms for some nutritional content, and sundried tomatoes to boost the flavor.
I made sure to dice those sundried tomatoes nice and fine, because (call me crazy) big chunks of sundried tomatoes are just a no for me. Sundried tomato flavor is SO strong, and we don’t want too much of a good thing 😉
In addition to the sundried tomatoes, I added a sprinkling of red pepper flakes for a touch of heat. 1/2 teaspoon is just enough for me, feel free to add more or less to taste!
And cheese. Of course. Can’t forget the Parmesan cheese. A nice shower of it just before serving.
Easy peasy, healthy, vegetarian, made with a bunch of pantry staples, and ready in 30 minutes. And only one pan.
October, bring it on. I am ready for you!
More vegetarian skillet recipes for us:
- this 30 Minute Tuscan Chicken Skillet is full of wintery flavors
- and this Caprese Chicken Gnocchi Skillet is ridiculously easy
- or try out this Healthy Chicken Skillet with Cajun Potatoes & Veggies
- 500g/18 oz packaged gnocchi
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- ⅓ cup sundried tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups loosely packed spinach
- 540mL/19 oz white beans, drained and rinsed
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium heat.
- Add the gnocchi and separate them. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring occasionally for 8-10 minutes, or until golden and slightly crispy.
- Remove from pan.
- Add the mushrooms, and cook for 3 or so minutes until soft (add additional olive oil if needed). Return the gnocchi to the pan and add the sundried tomatoes, spinach and white beans. Stir until spinach is wilted and everything is heated through.
- Add additional salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Calories 414 // Fat 7 g // Saturated Fat 1 g // Cholesterol 0 mg // Sodium 1043 mg // Carbohydrate 72 g // Fiber 11 g // Sugars 2 g // Protein 15 g
Makes a great lunch the next day.
This works well with packaged gnocchi (sold with the dried pasta in the grocery store), but hasn't been tested with fresh gnocchi.
**I do need to note that in adding the extra ingredients to the pan-fried gnocchi, the gnocchi does lose a touch of its crispiness, but it still retains a really nice texture.
Products used in this recipe:
Hazelnut Chicken One Pot Pasta by Bake. Eat. Repeat.
30-Minute Farro Fried “Rice” by Flavor the Moments
Cauliflower-Apple Fritters with Mixed Greens by Floating Kitchen
Veggie-Packed Peanut Noodles by Flying on Jess Fuel
Roasted Sweet Potato and Arugula Pasta with Chickpeas by Kristine’s Kitchen
Alice Springs Shrimp Quesadilla by Maebells
Unstuffed Pepper Bake by Pumpkin ‘N Spice
One-Pot Italian Chicken and Orzo Pasta by Whole and Heavenly Oven