This healthy roasted poblano soup with potatoes and cheddar is so creamy and full of flavor! Ready in under an hour.
My favorite thing of all time to cook up in the kitchen is soup. I think soup was the first time I ever really strayed from the recipe.
It started with my Mom’s minestrone recipe. I made it so many times that I stopped using the recipe. I would swap the veggies or the macaroni, use different types of beans. I started adding a splash of white wine. It was fun!
I love that about the kitchen…I can get creative. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn’t. Occasionally we have to order pizza.
But not this time…I got this roasted poblano soup with potatoes and cheddar recipe right on my first try! That almost never happens.
This is a healthy soup packed with veggies: carrots, celery, onions, garlic for the base and white potatoes which make it so thick and creamy.
I found some poblano peppers at the grocery store, and thought they would be a much better option than the jalapeños I was going to use. They aren’t spicy, especially with the membrane and seeds removed, but after roasting they add a nice, mellow, slightly sweet flavor to the soup.
After simmering everything all together, I stirred in some aged cheddar cheese, and milk. I love the potato/poblano/cheddar flavors together! So nice.
Finally, blend everything together. I love my immersion blender because I don’t have to transfer hot soup to my blender….so much easier!
Serve this roasted poblano soup with potatoes and cheddar up with additional cheddar and some chives. Perfect on a cold autumn day.
This was such a nice soup to get me going for soup season…can’t wait to try out some more recipes 😉
What is your favorite thing to get lost cooking in the kitchen?
More soup for you!
- this Thai Butternut Squash Soup is creamy dreamy heaven
- and this Caribbean Sweet Potato Soup is spicy and sweet
- and this Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup is packed with flavor!
- 4 poblano peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped (approx 1 cup)
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped (approx 1 cup)
- 4 medium white potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into ½ inch cubes (approximately 4 cups)
- 4 cups chicken stock (or veggie stock to make it vegetarian)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups aged cheddar cheese
- additional cheese and chives to garnish
- Turn on the oven broiler.
- Arrange the poblanos on a baking sheet, and broil, taking care not to burn, and turning frequently. The peppers are ready when they are blistered on all sides.
- Remove from the oven, place in a large bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Steam for 10 minutes.
- Remove seeds, and do your best to peel skin from poblanos.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, and cook until translucent, 5 or so minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute until fragrant.
- Add the carrots, celery, potatoes, chicken stock and salt.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. (Add the poblanos to the soup once you have peeled and de-seeded them).
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until creamy and smooth. Stir in the cheddar and milk, stirring until cheese has completely melted and incorporated into the soup.
- Serve immediately.
Calories 283 // Fat 11 g // Saturated Fat 1 g // Cholesterol 3 mg // Sodium 295 mg // Carbohydrate 33 g // Fiber 4 g // Sugars 9 g // Protein 16 g
Keeps well in the fridge for up to 3 days.