A healthy make-ahead sweet potato egg muffins recipe! Egg muffins get a southwestern twist with black beans, corn and sweet potatoes.
Do you guys ever feel like time needs to slow down?
I know I sure do. Last week-end, I headed out of town for a girl’s night with my college roommate. We ate nachos, drank wine, and watched Sex and the City. We flipped through her college scrapbook and googled friends we’d lost touch with. It was so much fun!
I can’t believe it has been 15 years (YEARS!?!) since I was in my first year. I swear it was just a few years ago. I kind of wish I could do it all over again, but honestly the thought of re-doing first year university makes me tired. I’d rather put on my yoga pants and watch Netflix instead. I guess I’m officially old 😉
If time needs to slow down, it really needs to slow down is breakfast time. Because I don’t know what happens in the morning. It’s a flash between getting out of bed and getting Kai to daycare.
And sadly I often skip breakfast first thing, intending to eat it later, but I can get distracted and end up in that desperate pit of hunger. The one where you get very hangry.
So I thought it was time to revisit the Egg Muffin concept. I made these Egg and Quinoa Breakfast Muffins back in September, and thought it would be fun to revamp them with these Southwestern sweet potato egg muffins.
This time I added sweet potato. You can either roast or steam your sweet potato cubes (I recommend roasting if you have the time, they have a really nice texture from it). Then mix them into the eggs with some corn, black beans, cheese and spices.
Super simple to make, and super simple to grab in the morning. Hurray for sweet potato egg muffins!
Oh gosh. I almost forgot to share with you all that I’ve joined snapchat (find me–> sweetpeasaffron) and I’m a TOTAL newbie and still totally don’t get it, but I plan on sharing some ‘behind the scenes’ stuff for the blog there. Yesterday I snapped myself making these muffins!
Anywho, I hope you are all having a wonderful Thursday (TOMORROW IS FRIDAY!!!), and don’t forget to check back on the blog this Saturday for a round-up post! Hint: it has a ‘make ahead’ theme 😉
Southwestern Sweet Potato Egg Muffins (Make Ahead)
- 1/2 a medium sweet potato, cut into 3/4 inch cubes (approximately 2 cups)
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 cup corn kernels, drained
- 3/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cheese (1/4 cup reserved for sprinkling muffin tops)
Cook your sweet potato:
- Heat oven to 425°F. Toss sweet potatoes in a few teaspoons of olive oil and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Roast for 10 minutes, give them a good stir up/flip, and roast for another 10-15 or until you can pierce them with a fork.
- Place 1 cm of water in the base of a medium pot, and add the sweet potatoes.
- Cover and cook for 15 or so minutes over medium/high heat, until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tray with silicone muffin liners (parchment ones work great too!)
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder.
- Stir in the corn, black beans and cheese.
- Add the cooked sweet potatoes (be sure to cool them slightly first!)
- Spoon mixture into the prepared muffin tray, you should get 12 muffins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Heat on top of a paper towel in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
- Freeze (short term) in sealed plastic containers. For longer term storage, you may wish to wrap them in plastic first.
- Allow to thaw completely, and reheat as described above.
- for 25-30 minutes
Calories 114 // Fat 6 g // Saturated Fat 3 g // Cholesterol 103 mg // Sodium 154 mg // Carbohydrate 9 g // Fiber 2 g // Sugars 1 g // Protein 7 g