Wow. Here we are, September 6. Officially the first day of school in most parts of the country. Unofficially fall.
I have to admit I’m just a tiny bit excited for fall…it really does have some good things going for it! Gorgeous leaves, butternut squash everything, leggings and scarves, comfort food…
Mostly I just love the fact that it’s a whole new season filled with new produce. Kind of like a new beginning.
Well. Today’s recipe is not necessarily inspired by fall produce, but rather fall comfort food! This one pot healthy cajun chicken orzo is secretly PACKED full of veggies, and helps fill half your plate with fresh produce.
See what I mean? There are a LOT of vegetables hiding in this recipe: bell peppers, zucchini, snap peas, onion, diced tomatoes…but it is so creamy and tasty that it’s not evident right away.
In fact, today’s post is sponsored by Half Your Plate, whose mission is to encourage us to fill half our plates with fruits and vegetables. And today’s recipe is proof that this mission doesn’t have to be challenging!
Half Your Plate has a ton of tricks, tips and recipes to help you fill half of your plate with fruits and veggies. Be sure to check out their website and check them out!
Ever since I discovered that one pot pasta is not only easy but it is actually WAY MORE DELICIOUS, I have barely cooked it any other way.
Why is it more delicious cooked this way? For one reason, the pasta absorbs a ton of flavor as it cooks. And also, the starch from the pasta adds a certain creaminess to the rest of the dish that tastes like you’ve added cream, when really you haven’t.
I added a cup of parmesan cheese to bring even more creaminess, and it compliments the cajun seasoning perfectly. This pasta has great flavor and is a tiny bit spicy. My whole family loved it!
Comfort food that is secretly healthy, that my family loves, only dirties one pot and that fills half your plate with veggies…that is a WIN if you ask me!!
Disclosure: Thank you to Half Your Plate for sponsoring this post. As always, all opinions are my own.
One Pot Healthy Cajun Chicken Orzo
- 8 oz uncooked orzo 1 1/3 cups
- 2 cups chicken stock
- One 19 oz can of diced tomatoes + juice
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup snap peas
- 1 small red onion
- 2 chicken breasts cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cajun spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- Combine all ingredients except the parmesan in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring every 3 or so minutes, or until pasta is cooked through.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, and serve.
More one pot pastas for us:
- this super tasty One Pot Pasta with Kale & Goat Cheese
- or how about this vegetarian One Pot White Bean Pasta with Leeks & Asparagus
- or this One Pan Turkey Pasta Recipe with Lemon & Zucchini