Lemon sesame chicken stir fry has a delicious tangy lemon stir fry sauce and comes together in under 30 minutes! Serve it as a weeknight dinner or as a meal prep lunch recipe.
Stir fries are one of my favorite meal prep recipes because they are simple to prepare and they keep really well. Plus those stir fry sauces are just so tasty!
Bottled stir fry sauce can have a million ingredients, some of them not so good for you. Check out the labels and you may see ingredients such as MSG, corn syrup, and chemical preservatives.
Making your own stir fry sauce is so incredibly easy, and in my opinion they often taste even better than the store-bought stuff!
This chicken stir fry recipe has a delicious lemon sesame stir fry sauce. It is tangy, citrussy and savory, and adds a ton of flavor to the chicken and veggies!
This lemon sesame chicken stir fry recipe was originally one of the recipes I shared in this post of 7 Easy Stir Fry Sauce Recipes, and it’s now getting its very own post!
This lemon sesame stir fry sauce consists of:
- chicken stock to give it some volume
- brown sugar for a touch of sweetness- you can swap for honey if you want to skip refined sugar!
- soy sauce for the mandatory savory flavors- swap for tamari or coconut aminos for gluten-free or paleo
- sesame oil and sesame seeds to give it some dimension and a flavor boost
- lemon juice to give it the citrussy flavors
- cornstarch to thicken
How do you prepare lemon sesame stir fry sauce? Simply shake together your ingredients. You can make it ahead and freeze it for up to 3 months! We liked adding some fresh lemon wedges to give it even more lemony flavor, and I recommend adding those fresh rather than freezing.
What protein goes well with this lemon stir fry sauce? This lemon sesame stir fry sauce would actually work really well with a number of different proteins including shrimp, beef or even tofu, but I like it best with boneless skinless chicken breast.
What vegetables should I use with this lemon sesame stir fry sauce? To pair with the citrussy flavors, I pick vegetables like asparagus or broccoli, although it works well with any number of stir-fry worthy veggies.
Looking for more stir fry recipes? Check out these delicious options:
- Maple Ginger Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
- Lime Beef & Basil Stir Fry
- Easy Sweet Chili Shrimp Stir Fry
- Vegan Teriyaki Stir Fry
- Mongolian Beef Meal Prep
- Firecracker Chicken Meal Prep
Lemon Sesame Chicken Stir Fry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large chicken breasts in bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cups vegetables chopped (such as asparagus, bell peppers, mushrooms)
- half of one lemon sliced seeds removed
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Juice of 1 lemon 2.5 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Heat oil in a medium non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 or so minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and place in a clean bowl.
- Add an additional tablespoon of olive oil, if necessary. Add the onion and cook for 3 or so minutes, until mostly cooked through. Add the remaining vegetables and lemon slices and cook for 5 minutes, until veggies are tender. Remove the veggies to the same bowl as chicken.
- Whisk together the sauce until no lumps remain, then add into the hot pan. Cook for 2 or so minutes, until sauce bubbles and just begins to thicken.
- Return the chicken and veggies to the pan and toss to coat in the sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with rice.