Get creative with your ice cream and make these lemon meringue pie ice cream sundaes! With fresh, citrussy lemon curd, whipped cream and pie crush shards, it's fun, summery and sure to be devoured by all.
When summer hits, it's lemon desserts for me all. the. way. From lemon angel food cupcakes to lemon meringue pie bites to these tasty lemon meringue pie ice cream sundaes, I just can't get enough of that tart, sweet, citrus flavor.
The flavors and textures in this sundae are going to blow your mind: tart + sweet, soft and crunchy, it is pretty much my perfect blend.
Not only that, but they are simple to prepare, and you can bake the pie crust ahead, for easy 5 minute desserts!
Reasons you'll ♡ lemon meringue pie ice cream sundaes
- it tastes so similar to lemon meringue pie, but is way easier to prep
- it's sweet, lemony, tart, soft and crunchy
- you can prep the pie crust ahead for easy to assemble desserts
- lemon curd- I purchased my lemon curd from the baking aisle of the grocery store; it may be labelled as 'lemon spread'. You can also make your own lemon curd from scratch. I've made this recipe in the past and loved it!
- ice cream- vanilla ice cream goes best in these sundaes as it is nice and neutral to compliment the tart lemon flavors
- whipped cream- to mimic the meringue topping on lemon meringue pie.
- cinnamon sugar pie crust shards- to add textural contrast and the necessary 'pie crust' flavor. More on that below!
How to make cinnamon sugar pie crust shards
To get the delicious pie crust flavor into these sundaes, we are making cinnamon sugar pie crust shards. Don't be intimidated, this is actually a deceptively easy process:
- roll out a store bought pie crust
- prick with your fork
- sprinkle with a cinnamon sugar mixture
- bake for 10-12 minutes
It's seriously that easy.
You can assemble in any order that you'd like (isn't that the beauty of ice cream sundaes?). You will probably want to cool your pie crust before adding, although warm pie crust could be a delicious addition to the sundae. Mix it all up and enjoy!
You can mix the flavors up here in so many ways to get new and creative pie-flavored ice cream sundaes!
- cherry pie- swap the lemon curd for cherry pie filling
- key lime- swap the lemon juice and zest in the curd recipe for key lime to make a key lime curd
- apple pie- swap the lemon curd for sautéed apples
- blueberry pie- swap the lemon curd for a blueberry syrup (try the one from this recipe)
More summery desserts
- Key Lime Greek Yogurt Cheesecakes
- Brown Butter Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake Blondies
- Healthy Zucchini Bread
- Key Lime Greek Yogurt Mini Cheesecakes
- Cream Cheese Swirl Blackberry Coffee Cake
Lemon Curd Ice Cream Sundaes
Cinnamon Pie Crust Shards
- 1 pie crust
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 16 scoops ice cream
- 1 cup lemon curd
- 2 cups whipping cream (or more to taste)
Cinnamon Pie Crust Shards
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Roll the pie crust out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Prick several times with a fork. Mix the cinnamon & sugar together and sprinkle evenly over the pie crust.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until crust is golden and baked through.
- Cool slightly and cut into wedges or break into 'shards'.
- For each sundae, I recommend:-2 scoops of ice cream-2 tablespoons of lemon curd-¼ cup whipped cream-⅛ of the pie crust