Instant Pot chipotle lime chicken breasts are sweet and spicy, and ready in under 30 minutes! Perfect for tacos, wraps, or just served on their own. Freezer, gluten-free, paleo-friendly and clean eating.
After sharing SEVEN Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes on the blog a few months ago, and showing you how you can assemble them ahead and freeze (hello…perfect for when chicken breasts go on sale!), I’m working my way through them to show you the finished product.
And this Instant Pot chipotle lime chicken breasts recipe is now getting its very own post. Hurray!
We loved these chicken breasts served as tacos, but they would also be great served as a standalone protein…not only do you get perfectly juicy chicken breasts, but a sweet and spicy chipotle lime sauce that is perfect for spooning over rice or veggies!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to save it for later!
NEW: looking for Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes? Check this post out!
How to make this recipe ahead and freeze it
Chicken breast freezer packs are a staple in my freezer and are an absolute lifesaver during busy weeks! Here’s how you can turn this chipotle lime chicken breast recipe into a freezer pack:
- Assemble the boneless skinless chicken breasts, honey, lime juice, stock, garlic, salt and adobo sauce in a gallon-sized freezer bag.
- Squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Freeze flat for up to 3 months.
So incredibly simple! When you’re ready to cook, you will need to thaw completely before placing everything in the Instant Pot and pressure cooking for 8 minutes.
Can I cook this Instant Pot chipotle lime chicken from frozen? Maybe, but I haven’t tried. I would worry that your sauce might burn, so I’d make sure to thaw completely before cooking.
Can I sub chicken thighs in this recipe? Yes! If you use boneless skinless chicken thighs, adjust the cook time to 10 minutes and you are good to go!
Can I make this recipe paleo? Yes! Simply swap the cornstarch for arrowroot powder and you have yourself some paleo Instant Pot chicken!
Now these Instant Pot chipotle lime chicken breasts are pretty versatile! Here’s a few ways you could enjoy them:
- served in a tortilla as a taco
- served on a taco salad (maybe with this Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing!)
- served with cilantro lime rice and slaw
- served with quinoa and veggies as a meal prep bowl
Tips for perfect Instant Pot Chipotle Lime Chicken Breasts:
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot; this recipe has not been tested in an 8 quart or mini
- make sure you use heavy duty freezer bags if you are going to make freezer packs
- add a chipotle pepper (or two!) for spice
- Looking for more chicken breast recipes? Check out these 7 Chicken Marinade Recipes You Can Freeze, and this sequel with 7 (more) Freezer Friendly Chicken Breast Marinades. And of course, the 7 Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes post
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (roughly 2 large chicken breasts)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup chicken stock or water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers
- 1 chipotle pepper optional; for spice!
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Combine the honey, stock, salt, garlic, lime juice, adobo sauce and chipotle pepper in the base of a 6 quart Instant Pot. Stir until smooth.
Add the chicken breasts. Seal the valve and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes (see *).
When the Instant Pot beeps, release the pressure immediately (quick pressure release).
Remove the chicken breasts from the Instant Pot and set on a cutting board to rest.
Stir together the water and cornstarch until no lumps remain, then add to the Instant Pot.
Turn on the 'sautee' function of the Instant Pot, and cook sauce, stirring frequently, until thickened.
Using oven mitts, remove the insert from the Instant Pot to prevent burning. Slice the chicken breasts and return to the Instant Pot, stirring to coat in sauce.
Combine the chicken breasts, honey, stock, salt, garlic, lime juice, adobo sauce and chipotle pepper in a gallon sized freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible, squish the bag around until everything is combined, then freeze flat for up to 3 months.
Thaw completely, then follow the cooking directions above.
*The cook time of 8 minutes works perfectly for average sized 7 oz chicken breasts. For smaller portions, reduce the cook time 1-2 minutes, and for larger portions, increase the cook time by 1-2 minutes.