Instant Pot chicken breasts with sun dried tomato cream sauce makes a restaurant-quality meal in under 30 minutes! Juicy chicken breasts are served with a delicious sun dried tomato parmesan cream sauce. Low carb and gluten-free.
Lookie here, it's the sister post to this Instant Pot Creamy Lemon Chicken Breasts post...they almost look identical, and truth be told, the recipes are allllmost the same. With the important fact that there are sun dried tomatoes, rather than lemon juice in this sun dried tomato cream sauce.
Both of these recipes are from my post of 7 Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes, which shows you how to prepare them ahead and freeze them. And now I'm showing you just how delicious the finished product is!
Reasons I love these Instant Pot chicken breasts with sun dried tomato cream sauce? It's fancy, but it takes very little effort. It comes with a sauce that is perfect for spooning over rice, potatoes or other veggies.
Don't forget to pin this recipe to save it for later!
Looking for more Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes? Check this post out!
How to make this recipe ahead and freeze it
Chicken breast freezer packs are a staple in my freezer and are an absolute lifesaver during busy weeks! Here’s how you can turn this Instant Pot chicken breasts with sun dried tomato cream sauce into a freezer pack:
- Assemble the boneless skinless chicken breasts, sun dried tomatoes, spices, garlic and chicken stock in a gallon-sized freezer bag.
- Squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Freeze flat for up to 3 months.
So incredibly simple! When you’re ready to cook, you will need to thaw completely before placing everything in the Instant Pot and pressure cooking for 8 minutes.
Wait, what about the sun dried tomato cream sauce?
The creamy sun dried tomato deliciousness happens after the chicken is cooked!
- Remove the cooked chicken breasts from the Instant Pot and set them on a cutting board
- Select the sautee function and simmer your cooking liquid for 7-8 minutes until reduced to roughly ⅓ of a cup
- Add in some parmesan cheese and heavy cream. Stir until heated through, thick and creamy, and then remove from the Instant Pot
We slice our chicken and add it back to the pot to get it nice and hot, but you could also serve as is and spoon the sauce over top. Either way, it's going to be delicious!
What to serve with th?
Brace yourself because here are a whole bunch of yummy ideas for you!
- pan fried sugar snap peas or asparagus
- Parmesan Mashed Cauliflower
- this 10 minute Spiralized Cucumber Salad
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- roasted potatoes or these cute Herb and Garlic Potato Stacks
- rice or cauliflower rice
Tips and Equipment
- I used my trusty 6 quart Instant Pot; I have not tested in an 8 quart or mini Instant Pot
- if you are making freezer packs, be sure to use heavy duty freezer bags
- you can swap for boneless skinless chicken thighs but will need to adjust cook time to 10 minutes
- Looking for more Instant Pot chicken breast recipes? Check out this Instant Pot Thai Chicken Curry, this Instant Pot Honey Sesame Chicken Breast recipe, this And of course, the 7 Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes post
Instant Pot Chicken Breasts with Sun Dried Tomato Cream Sauce
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts see note 1
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ⅓ cup sun dried tomatoes oil drained, chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional; adds a bit of spice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
After reducing the sauce
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- ¾ cup heavy cream see note 2
- Assemble- In the stainless steel insert of your Instant Pot, add the stock, sun dried tomatoes, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Stir until combined, then add chicken breasts. Turn to coat in the sauce.
- Cook- Place the lid on your Instant Pot and set the steam release handle to the 'sealing' position. Pressure cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. When the Instant Pot completes its cycle, perform a quick pressure release: carefully transition the steam release handle to the 'venting' position.
- Transfer chicken- Remove the lid from the Instant Pot and use an instant read thermometer to check that your chicken breasts have reached 165°F. Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and allow to rest on a cutting board.
- Reduce sauce- Select the 'sauté' function of the Instant Pot, and allow cooking liquids to simmer for 7 or so minutes. When liquids are reduced to about ⅓ of a cup and you can see the bottom of the pot as you stir, they are ready.Use oven mitts to remove the stainless steel insert from the base of the Instant Pot so it doesn't over-reduce, then stir in the heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Slice the chicken against the grain, and spoon the sauce over the chicken to serve.
- To increase the serving size- drag the number beside 'serving size' above on the recipe card. Keep the cook time the same.
- To swap for boneless chicken thighs- adjust the cook time to 10 minutes high pressure with quick pressure release
- To swap for frozen chicken breasts- for frozen separately (not in a block)- 12 minutes high pressure with quick pressure release; check they have reached 165°F
- frozen in a block- cook for 5 minutes, then do a quick pressure release. Pry chicken breasts apart. Cook for another 7-10 minutes with quick pressure release, and check they have reached 165°F.
- In a freezer bag, silicone bag or meal prep container, combine the stock, sun dried tomatoes, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes and garlic, and mix to combine.
- Add the chicken breasts, turn to coat in the sauce, then squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely before cooking as directed above.