These healthy grilled fish tacos are topped with a sweet and slightly spicy jalapeño kiwi salsa. The perfect light summery dinner recipe!
Now that Kai is nearly three years old, he says some pretty hilarious things.
For Father’s Day, we did a little quiz about Daddy and one of the questions was “what does Daddy do at work all day?” Kai’s response: “he’s buying some money”.
Then the other day when we were hanging out in the backyard together I said “oh I really have that song stuck in my head!”. Kai comes over, takes my head in his hands and looks very seriously at my head. “What you got in your head? Where?”
I need to start writing these down before I forget them because they are so cute!
Life with a toddler is definitely interesting. Never a dull moment. And dinner time is increasingly challenging to put together because toddlers don’t get the ‘just wait 5-minutes’ thing, they want it right now!
So today’s grilled fish tacos recipe is definitely handy to have around, because it gets a simple, healthy dinner on your table in under 30 minutes. And if you slice up a couple of extra Zespri SunGold kiwis for your kids, they will happily snack on them while you prep the rest of dinner.
Today’s post is sponsored by Zespri Kiwifruit. See those beauties? They are the SunGold kiwis, slightly different than your typical kiwi…they are lighter in color and definitely a touch sweeter.
Don’t you love kiwis? Such a perfect little portable snack…just cut and scoop when you’re ready to serve! A healthy snack full of fibre and vitamins C and E.
And today’s grilled fish tacos recipe shows you another fun way to use kiwifruit: in a sweet and savory salsa!
So here’s the deal: rub your whitefish with a super simple cumin/coriander rub, then grill it up. Because whitefish is so delicate, I placed a sheet of aluminum foil on the grill and sprayed with some spray oil. I didn’t have to worry about it falling through the grate and it didn’t even need to be flipped. <–so simple.
While the fish is cooking, cut up a simple cabbage slaw and the jalapeño kiwi salsa.
My salsa didn’t end up very spicy, but you could always leave the seeds in your jalapeños if you’d like it more spicy! I also added some honey to the salsa to bring up the sweetness a touch, but you’re going to want to drain off the excess liquid before serving.
You end up with a super simple, fresh, summery, sweet and savory dinner recipe and a brand new way to enjoy kiwifruit!
Be sure to check your local grocery store for Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit, which are available from May to October!
Disclaimer: Thanks to Zespri Kiwifruit for sponsoring this post! And thank you for supporting the brands that support Sweet Peas & Saffron. As always, all opinions are my own.
Grilled Fish Tacos with Kiwi Jalapeño Salsa
- Four 3.5 oz/100g tilapia fillets or any other whitefish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
Jalapeño Kiwi Salsa
- 1 lb Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit approximately 4 large kiwis
- 1 jalapeño minced
- 2 tablespoons red onion minced
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 8 6- inch flour tortillas
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Tilapia:Heat barbecue to medium-high.
- Mix together the cumin, coriander and salt in a small bowl. Brush fillets with olive oil. Sprinkle fish evenly with the spice mixture.
- Place fish on top of a vegetable grilling plate, or on a sheet of foil on the grill. Cook for 10 or so minutes, until fish is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork.
- Jalapeño Kiwi Salsa:Toss together all ingredients and set aside.
- Cabbage Slaw:Combine the cabbage and cilantro. Toss in the apple cider vinegar.
- To Serve:Place half of a fillet in a tortilla, top with cabbage and (well-drained) salsa. Greek yogurt is awesome on these tacos!
Tacos for everyone!