≡ Menu

APPLE, PEAR & POMEGRANATE SANGRIA

Apple, Pear & Pomegranate Sangria | sweetpeasandsaffron.com

I have a confession…I am a picky eater!  My random assortment of dislikes includes the following: mustard, raisins, gold tequila (I have my reasons), egg nog (it has raw eggs in it), bananas, grapefruit and oranges.

My dislike of oranges is particularly strong, and I’m not even sure how it started!  All I know is that if someone starts peeling an orange around me, I have to leave.  I don’t want oranges in my house…not even orange juice!  I can’t stand the smell of it, the look of it, any of it!  I am completely and irrationally an anti-orange person.

For this reason, I have traditionally avoided sangria.  Until now.

Apple, Pear & Pomegranate Sangria | sweetpeasandsaffron.com

This sangria combines beautiful wintery fruit (Apples, Pears, Pomegranate seeds) with nutmeg and cloves.  Most importantly, there are NO ORANGES!

The fruit and spices are soaked in white wine for 24 hours.  The wine takes on mild fruity flavors…surprisingly the pear flavors were more intense than the apple.  The nutmeg and pear combo is divine!  I’m taking note of that one.  The fruity-nutmeggy wine is then combined with sparkly, bubbly champagne.

This sangria would make a perfect New Years party drink.  It is sophisticated (although putting pretty much anything in a champagne flute makes it look pretty sophisticated to me), it is pretty, and best of all, it tastes really, really good.  Watch out, though, it might not last until midnight!

Apple, Pear & Pomegranate Sangria | sweetpeasandsaffron.com

Apple, Pear & Pomegranate Sangria | sweetpeasandsaffron.com

Apple, Pear and Pomegranate Sangria

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

A beautiful wintery version of sangria featuring apples, pears and pomegranates with a hint of nutmeg and cloves. Perfect for a Christmas or New Years party!
Recipe type: Beverage
Serves: 10
Ingredients
  • 1 bottle dry white wine
  • 2 apples (peeled, cored, and sliced very thin)
  • 2 pears (peeled, cored, and sliced very thin)
  • 20 whole cloves
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (fresh makes ALL the difference here!)
  • 1 bottle champagne, prosecco or sparkling white wine (chilled)
  • handful pomegranate seeds
Instructions
  1. Combine pears, apples, cloves and nutmeg in a large pitcher. cover with white wine. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
  2. Fill a champagne flute half way with the fruit/wine mixture. Top with champagne and several pomegranate seeds.

Recipe adapted from My Recipes

Related posts:

{ 18 comments… add one }

• Rena November 25, 2013, 12:32 am

Does this call for white wine and champagne?

• Denise November 26, 2013, 5:30 pm

Hi Rena! Yes, this recipe calls for both white wine and champagne. It makes a big batch!

• Brya November 26, 2013, 2:35 am

What kind of apples do you use for this recipe?

• Denise November 26, 2013, 5:34 pm

Hi Brya! I believe I used Granny Smith apples but this sangria would be great with all types of apples really. Use whatever you have on hand!

• Chelsa November 28, 2013, 12:13 am

This is marinating in the fridge right now and smells soooo delicious! Can’t wait to try it tomorrow with Thanksgiving dinner! (It’s the only part of the meal that I am in charge of this year so I’m crossing my fingers hoping that it’s a hit!)

• Denise November 29, 2013, 4:15 pm

Awesome! I hope you and your family enjoyed it!

• bryn heathman November 24, 2014, 7:52 pm

Hi! Do you leave the cloves in it when served, or do you use a strainer to get them out?

• Denise November 24, 2014, 9:35 pm

Hi Bryn! I believe the cloves sank to the bottom of the sangria, but yes, I would remove them. Hope you enjoy the sangria :)

• Bobbi November 26, 2014, 6:39 pm

I am making this for tomorrow. I’m wondering if the nutmeg dissolves in the wine or will it taste grainy when you drink it.

• Denise November 26, 2014, 9:10 pm

Hi Bobbi! I don’t remember the sangria tasting grainy at all, I believe the nutmeg infuses into the wine with any larger bits sinking to the bottom with the cloves. You may want to strain off the cloves though. I hope you enjoy the sangria, and have a great Thanksgiving :)

• Kristen November 27, 2014, 10:18 am

Hi!!! I’m trying this recipe out right now. Do you remember how large of a bottle of white wine you used? I used a typical bottle you would get 4 glasses out of and it’s mostly fruit in the container.

• Denise November 27, 2014, 11:50 am

Hi Kristen! I definitely used a 750mL bottle of wine, and there was definitely a lot of fruit in it! Don’t forget that you add a bottle of champagne the next day so the liquid is doubled. Feel free to remove as much of the fruit as you’d like for presentation, although it is pretty tasty with all of that wine and the spices in it. I hope you enjoy the sangria and have a great Thanksgiving :)

• Leslie December 13, 2014, 3:01 pm

This sounds great! I’ll have to try it soon.

I’m curious; do you also dislike pickles? I have a theory that people how dislike mustard will also dislike pickles. I’m with you on the grapefruit, btw. Fruit should be sweet!

• Denise December 13, 2014, 11:38 pm

Hi Leslie! I actually like pickles, although I haven’t eaten them since I overdid it when I was pregnant (typical pregnant lady, huh?) Glad I’m not the only grapefruit-hater…I really shouldn’t be so picky but I can’t help myself!

• Deborah Monroe December 15, 2014, 11:18 am

can i omit the cloves or are they a must? and if i use them are they a strong taste? I am making this for christmas eve. can’t wait!!!

• Denise December 15, 2014, 3:42 pm

Hi Deborah! I think you’ll be fine to omit the cloves, but make sure not to forget the nutmeg ;) I hope you enjoy it, it has been far too long since I’ve had it. Maybe I should make a batch for Christmas eve!

• Melly December 19, 2014, 4:46 pm

Hi! Can you also add in the champagne to the wine mixture instead of pouring it into individual glasses? Thanks!

• Denise December 19, 2014, 5:19 pm

Hi Melly! Absolutely you could do that! I had written it that way because the champagne may be more prone to become flat when poured into the wine, but if you serve it right away it shouldn’t be a problem.