I have this habit of becoming fixated on an ingredient and trying to see how many things I can squash it into. Right now this ingredient is kale...which isn't such a bad thing given its amazing nutritional qualities!
First I made a Kale & Soba Noodle Salad with Pomegranates and Feta. Then there were some delicious Chicken, Kale & Artichoke Pot Pies. Now I am putting it on pizza. Because putting pretty much anything on home made pizza dough, adding a few dollops of nutmeg-infused ricotta and a sprinkling of pine nuts and mozzarella is GONNA TASTE GREAT.
Reasons you'll ♡ this kale, pine nut and ricotta pizza
- it's easy to prep
- the flavors are subtle and mild but delicious
- it's a fun new way to enjoy kale
This pizza is super easy. As in it can be in the oven in a matter of MINUTES. #winning.
The flavors are subtle and mild. Unlike some 'extroverted' Ethiopian food I had on Sunday, this pizza is more of an 'introvert'...delicate and subtle. The kale is mild and sweet. The toasted pine nuts...is there any description needed? They are pine nuts. Aka: so yummy I would put them in my cereal if I could afford to. Finally, freshly ground nutmeg adds a whole new nutty dimension to the creamy awesomeness of the ricotta.
Do I need to keep going?
Tips & equipment for this kale, pine nut and ricotta pizza
- in the past, I have used Wolfgang Puck's pizza dough recipe, but in this busy chapter of life, we purchase pizza dough from our local Italian deli!
- I highly recommend using a pizza stone to cook your pizza!
- looking for more kale recipes? Try this Kale Pesto, our Staple Kale Salad or these Crispy Baked Kale Chips
Did you make this? Tag me on social @sweetpeasandsaffron and be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
Kale, Pine Nut and Ricotta Pizza
- 2 cups kale washed, dried, and shredded into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- ½ cup ricotta
- 1 ½ teaspoon nutmeg (fresh makes all the difference here!)
- 1 cup mozzarella grated
- pizza dough for one large pizza (12 inches)
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add kale and saute until it is a dark green color and starts to become limp. Remove from heat. Add pine nuts to the pan and cook until lightly toasted. Remove from heat.
- On the pizza dough, distribute the kale evenly. Mix together the nutmeg and ricotta. Add small dollops of the ricotta all over the pizza. Sprinkle with pine nuts and mozzarella.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly and the crust is golden.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Comment