A simple and healthy vegan Thai butternut squash soup recipe made with lemongrass and coconut milk! Even tastier the next day.
I love this soup so much I made a song up about it!
Butternut squash soup, butternut squash soup, if I don’t get some I think I’m gonna droop.
OK. So I may have ripped off Alligator Soup just then, but that doesn’t mean that I love this soup any less. And I think you guys might be realizing that I’ve been cooped up writing my thesis for TOO LONG now. Yesirrrr. You would not be wrong there.
This Thai Butternut Squash Soup may seem very similar to my Thai Curry Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup, but it is actually totally different in flavor!
There is no fish sauce or Thai curry paste, just a touch of curry powder, some lemongrass and lime leaves.
I normally shy away from ingredients like lime leaves because I know that not everyone can get ahold of them. But in the case of this soup, the lime leaves absolutely make the soup.
And it turns out you can order fresh lime leaves on Amazon…is that cool or what?
I was completely blown away by this Thai butternut squash soup. It is just simple, fresh ingredients, but together they make an amazing, fragrant, exotic tasting soup.
I think it may be my favorite soup on this whole blog! It is velvety smooth, so creamy, and so simple to make. It is full of healthy ingredients and is ready in under 45 minutes, which is pretty fast for a soup recipe!
What is not to love? Promise me you’ll make it?
More healthy soup recipes:
- this Caribbean Sweet Potato Soup is sweet and spicy
- and this Thai Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is the easiest thing you’ll make
- and this Thai Curry Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup is super popular!
Thai Butternut Squash Soup
A creamy and delicious vegan lemongrass coconut butternut squash soup that is ready in 45 minutes and tastes even better the next day!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups stock (or more; enough to cover the veggies)
- 2 stalks lemongrass, outer leaves removed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 lime leaves
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can good quality coconut milk
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Around 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds-1minute, stirring frequently.
- Add the butternut squash, carrots, stock, lemongrass, lime leaves, curry powder and salt. If veggies aren't completely covered, add stock until they are covered.
- Cook for 15 minutes, until butternut squash is soft.
- **Remove the lemongrass and lime leaves from the pot.
- Stir in the coconut milk, and puree using an immersion blender until smooth.
- Reheat gently and serve!
Calories 299 // Fat 18 g // Saturated Fat 12 g // Cholesterol 4 mg // Sodium 210 mg // Carbohydrate 34 g // Fiber 8 g // Sugars 9 g // Protein 7 g