These delicious, fluffy cranberry muffins have flaky coconut and a hint of lime zest! Prepare them in one bowl and enjoy for a healthy snack.
Typically cranberry muffins contain lemon or orange zest, and guess what? Lime zest is dang good, too.
And to give these muffins a little tropical twist, we've added flaked coconut in and on the muffins.
They are fluffy, tart, citrussy and slightly sweet...just perfect with a cup of hot coffee or tea.
Reasons you’ll ♡ these coconut cranberry muffins
Wondering how this coconut cranberry muffin recipe comes together? Watch the 1 minute video below to see how it happens! You can find more recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Don't forget to pin this post to save it for later!
Let's talk ingredients
For this delish cranberry muffin recipe, you'll need:
- flour- you can use all purpose, a mix of whole wheat and all purpose, or white whole wheat flour. Gluten-free and other alternative flours have not been tested.
- coconut oil- or you can swap for vegetable oil
- baking powder, soda + salt
- eggs- these have not been tested with egg alternatives, but it may be possible.
- greek yogurt- to make these nice and moist
- maple syrup- to sweeten. Honey works as well, and while I haven't tested coconut or brown sugar, I think they would work.
- cranberries- fresh or frozen, and in a pinch, you can use dried cranberries
- lime zest- which brings that citrussy zing without any of the sourness the juice adds
- coconut- I used sweetened shredded coconut but I think unsweetened would also be fine.
Muffins work so well for meal prep and are fridge and freezer-friendly. Here are some tips for this cranberry muffin recipe: Find my favorite muffin tins, microwave-safe bowl and muffin liners in my shop!
Meal prep tips
Muffins work so well for meal prep and are fridge and freezer-friendly. Here are some tips for this cranberry muffin recipe:
Find my favorite muffin tins, microwave-safe bowl and muffin liners in my shop!
Can I use dried cranberries?
While I love using fresh or frozen cranberries (they add a little juicy pop to the muffins), you could swap for dried cranberries instead.
Can I swap the coconut oil?
Yes, if you don't have coconut oil, you can use vegetable oil in place.
Can I make these cranberry muffins with gluten-free flour? Almond flour? Coconut flour?
Unfortunately I have not tested and can't say for sure if these will work. If you give them a try, please let us know in the comments how they turned out.
More muffin recipes!
- Low Carb Cauliflower Pizza Muffins
- Lemon Chia Yogurt Muffins
- Carrot Lentil Protein Muffins
- 7 Healthy Baked Oatmeal Muffins
- 7 Healthy Breakfast Egg Muffins
This post was originally published in 2015. It has been tweaked, rephotographed and republished in 2020.
- ¼ cup coconut oil (melted; 52 g)
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt (300 g)
- ½ cup maple syrup (138 g)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (250g; fluffed, spooned & levelled; see * note)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shredded coconut (plus extra for sprinkling on tops)
- 1 lime (zested)
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Line muffin tray with muffin papers and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the coconut oil. Add in the yogurt, maple syrup, eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, coconut and lime zest. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the cranberries. Batter will be quite thick and that's OK.
- Spoon around 3 tablespoons per muffin. Sprinkle tops with a little extra coconut if desired.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Mine were perfect in 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool 10 or so minutes in the muffin pans before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.